Computer sometimes doesn't switch off

SOLVED
6 REPLIES 6
RichardHeaney
New Voice
Message 1 of 7
Message 1 of 7

Computer sometimes doesn't switch off

I've just bought a new PC, the Medion Desktop PC i5 16GB 1TB from the Aldi site.

I've been impressed with how fast the PC is, but it has a couple of niggly faults. Sometimes it won't switch off, and I have to turn it off by pressing the ON/Off button, ans sometimes when it's in sleep mode it won't wake up when I use the keyboard or mouse, and I have to manually switch it off then on using the On/Off button.

I assume this is a software problem? Can anyone give me some advice on how to fix the problem, please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RichardHeaney
New Voice
Message 3 of 7
Message 3 of 7

Thank you for replying to me, Gehringer.

I have the buttons set to sleep, and shut down. The strange thing is, it's doesn't always shut down, and it doesn't always remain in hibernation mode either. Sometime sit does one thing, and sometimes does the other.

I upgraded to the latest Windows 10 2004 update a couple of weeks ago, and it has shut down since I did that, though I have only used it 2 or 3 times since then.

Hopefully, the update has sorted the problem. Thanks again for your advice. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Gehringer
Retired
Message 2 of 7
Message 2 of 7

Hi @RichardHeaney and welcome to the FORUM!

Please check which actions power button, sleep button and closing the lid are configured to perform.

On W10, you can follow this path: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\System Settings

If it does not solve the issue you can try upload the respective drivers using the Device Manager menu.

Regards,

Gehringer

RichardHeaney
New Voice
Message 3 of 7
Message 3 of 7

Thank you for replying to me, Gehringer.

I have the buttons set to sleep, and shut down. The strange thing is, it's doesn't always shut down, and it doesn't always remain in hibernation mode either. Sometime sit does one thing, and sometimes does the other.

I upgraded to the latest Windows 10 2004 update a couple of weeks ago, and it has shut down since I did that, though I have only used it 2 or 3 times since then.

Hopefully, the update has sorted the problem. Thanks again for your advice. 

Gehringer
Retired
Message 4 of 7
Message 4 of 7

I am glad to hear that @RichardHeaney 

Please come back and let us know if it worked.

Regards,

Gehringer

INeedHelp
Trainee
Message 5 of 7
Message 5 of 7

I'm having a similar problem with my laptop Crawler e10 it isn't waking up from standby with the mouse/keyboard interaction. I've only had it for a few days now, I've done a proper clean install and got the drivers from clevo.com.tw and putting in my device details. I've used 'Device Manager' to check and update every single item, the keyboard/mouse, HID, ACPI drivers don't have Power Management tabs and when they do the option for wake up is 'greyed out'. The laptop is ACPI compatible, 10th gen intel Nvidia 1650. I had a problem with the laptop not waking when the lid opens. The setting from windows didn't help and the setting was found in the BIOS, there is no option there to enable wake up from keyboard/mouse/HID. Please help me resolve this as the function is built into Windows with ACPI and I know the feature is possible just not available for some reason. 

Gehringer
Retired
Message 6 of 7
Message 6 of 7

This issue is discussed in another topic here

RichardHeaney
New Voice
Message 7 of 7
Message 7 of 7

It seems to have worked. Every once in a while the PC doesn't switch off, but not very often. 

6 REPLIES 6