Did you mean: 

Instaling Linux by USB to a new Medion Notebook

3 REPLIES 3
Masklin
Newcomer
Message 1 of 4
Message 1 of 4

Instaling Linux by USB to a new Medion Notebook

Hello, I spent hours and hours yesterday making different USB sticks, trying to make my new laptop boot from them. This is my model:

https://www.medion.com/gb/service/product-detail/30031974

As you can see, there are no technical specs, but it's a PC, and as a PC, it should boot from bootable USBs.

I've tried GPT, MBR, FAT32, NTFS, with and without Secure Boot, and the outcome is one of the following:
1. Boot menu -> Choose USB -> Thrown back to Boot Menu

2. Boot menu -> Choose USB -> Black screen with static _ in top left corner, with text "Secure Boot disabled" on a second line. Low resolution.

3. Boot menu -> Choose USB -> Black screen with static _ near middle of the screen. High resolution.

Do Medion notebooks feature some special block against anything that isn't Windows?

Big thanks in advance for your help, and your patience with my frustration.

Masklin

3 REPLIES 3
mats749
Tutor
Message 2 of 4
Message 2 of 4

Hi @Masklin 

Welcome to the community! 

Have you checked the Linux image to ensure its not corrupt? 

Thanks 

mats749

Illym
Beginner
Message 3 of 4
Message 3 of 4

Well, I am having the exact same problem on an Akoya E17201 (MD 62197) with Windows 11 preinstalled.

I want to install Linux because Win11 performs extremely badly on this laptop.

I have formatted 2 different brands of sticks in various ways, with different distro's and with multiple applications (Rufus, Etcher, DD for win, Ventoy, Sardu) as well.

The image itself is guaranteed fine, it works like a charm on another computer. Secure boot is turned off, but the bios does not have the option to turn off fast boot (or I just can't find it.)

I've seen many posts in this community describing similar issues and quite a few were solved in ways that do not fix it on my 'book.

Anyone else experiencing this on a similar system or know a solution ?

Barrr
Beginner
Message 4 of 4
Message 4 of 4

Hi i also have the same problem created rufus with ntfs  instead of fat32 this shows some extra info, but the system just freezes.

with a fat32 usb stick it just remains black.

I hoped for  a uefi update so we can drop this windows 11 and install everything we like

3 REPLIES 3