5 RÉPONSES 5
Grannybuttons
Beginner
Message 1 sur 6
6 133 Visites
Message 1 sur 6
6 133 Visites

Using USB cable to power an Akoya E2228T

I notice my new Akoya 2228T has a power supply with an output of 5V 3A.
This is the same as my HP Chromebook 11, which has a micro-USB socket and can also be charged from a standard USB cable, albeit slowly. Can I thus use a USB cable to charge my new Medion Akoya machine with a suitable adaptor? If so, what is the plug/socket used, and is it possible to buy one for a USB cable?
5 RÉPONSES 5
daddle
Superuser
Message 2 sur 6
6 126 Visites
Message 2 sur 6
6 126 Visites

@Grannybuttons

No, you can't The voltage pins in your usb-socket are only output to supply external devices, not vice versa for charging the notebook battery.

For this you have a dedicated  power socket, which regulates incoming currence and voltage depending on battery stats.

Regards, daddle

Grannybuttons
Beginner
Message 3 sur 6
6 119 Visites
Message 3 sur 6
6 119 Visites

Thanks. Shame, means I'll have to carry around a full power supply instead of a cable, & if I forget, I'll be stuck. Oh well, it's a vsry nice machine & cheap as a backup.
Balises (2)
magi3x
Apprentice
Message 4 sur 6
6 052 Visites
Message 4 sur 6
6 052 Visites

Yes, you can only charge the device over the 2.5mm DC Jack.  But what you can do is use a DC cable like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LINDY-0-7mm-Inner-2-5mm-Outer/dp/B00CXNMAZK/

This way you can theoretically use any USB socket you find (could also be a Power bank)  - it only has to be powerful enough.

CAVE The power supply delivered along the E2228T says it provides up to 3A - but I doubt that.

But to prevet any damage or even fire, you should only use high power USB ports that can do 3A!

Everything else you, use at your own risk  - those things can go up in flames if used outside their specs!

daddle
Superuser
Message 5 sur 6
6 033 Visites
Message 5 sur 6
6 033 Visites

@magi3x

Sorry, but you are misinformed about the charging procedures.

If you connect a client which usually consumes 2-3 A on an USB 2.0 port,  which only can deliver 0,5 A = 500mA, the client only can drain these 500mA,  which means it can never exceed the offered and given 500 mA. This is controlled by the  host-controller, e.g. a laptop, hub or power bank, which limits the outgoing currence.

You could compare it to a fannel which fills a reservoir up: if the reservoir is 10 gallons  or 8000 gallons big like in a truck, the stream of powder which runs through its opening is not to be influenced by means of the recipient.

So it will be the client gets to little amperage to keep it's charging status or to raise it, but it defeinitely will get 500 mA charging all the time being connected. Even if it is loosing charge status, this happens slower then being without charge.

regards, daddle

magi3x
Apprentice
Message 6 sur 6
6 029 Visites
Message 6 sur 6
6 029 Visites

@daddle

Sorry, but you misinterpret the intention of my statement.

What you say may be true with a decent charging device. As I gave an advice that is not provided by Medion, I just wanted to point out any possible danger. I could have just added a disclaimer "Use at your own risk" instead.

If you happen to have a cheap power supply that provides the requested amperage but overheats, i just dont wanna be held responsible.

5 RÉPONSES 5