5 REPLIES 5
Kasandrich
New Voice
Message 1 of 6
Message 1 of 6

E15301 m.2 support

Hi all, i'm a newbie here

Just bought a Medion E15301 MD 62033

I saw it has an m.2 expansion slot on the underside, so I bought an m.2 ssd to expand the storage.

Ive plugged it in, but the laptop does not seem to power up with it  plugged in.

The M.2 ssd I bought is

WD BLACK SN750 NVMe SSD

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Richard

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
daddle
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Message 4 of 6

@Kasandrich 

That's normal. SATA M2 SSDs  often have two keys, B + M Key. A PCIe NVME M2 SSD has a M -Key only. The question is which "Key" the slot provides. Because a M2 with two keys fits mechanically in each of tne slots, or with a B or with a M-Key only.

But the mechanical side is more or less unimportant, the fact which protokoll the slot provides is the dominating fact.

Usually the M Key is associated with the NVME protocol, while the B key is a SATA protocol.

Check with this M2 article in Wikipedia; especially look at the Chapter Formfactor and keying, and the very clear pictures there.

--> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.2

daddle

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Kasandrich
New Voice
Message 2 of 6
Message 2 of 6

Think Ive found the answer to my own question

inside the m.2 cover on the underside is a label "M.2 2280 SATA only"

So here I am with a very high performance WD Black NVMe 1tb M.2 SSD thats no use to me, I need a SATA one, my Son has recently built himself a gaming pc and bought 2 1TB m.2 SSD's but accidentally bought slower ones, so I need to get him to check the spec on his, if they are SATA I willl do a swap with him.

Kasandrich
New Voice
Message 3 of 6
Message 3 of 6

My Sons m.2 drives are NVMe so no good to me.

Im really confused now because the SATA M.2 drives im looking at have 2 keyways.

my slot which says its SATA only only has the single keyway and the NVMe m.2 fits, so what do I need??

daddle
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Message 4 of 6

@Kasandrich 

That's normal. SATA M2 SSDs  often have two keys, B + M Key. A PCIe NVME M2 SSD has a M -Key only. The question is which "Key" the slot provides. Because a M2 with two keys fits mechanically in each of tne slots, or with a B or with a M-Key only.

But the mechanical side is more or less unimportant, the fact which protokoll the slot provides is the dominating fact.

Usually the M Key is associated with the NVME protocol, while the B key is a SATA protocol.

Check with this M2 article in Wikipedia; especially look at the Chapter Formfactor and keying, and the very clear pictures there.

--> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.2

daddle

Kasandrich
New Voice
Message 5 of 6
Message 5 of 6

I've now bought a sata 2tb and I'm going to replace the c drive with it. 

Let's see how it goes

daddle
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Message 6 of 6

@Kasandrich

A   2 TB  M2  disk could be too big. As as far as I know a 256 GB or max, 500 GB M2 disk will fit.

daddle

5 REPLIES 5