cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Medion offer an Erazer P10 laptop repair service for a defective fan? If not, what can I do?

3 REPLIES 3
peacalmer
Beginner
Message 1 of 4
Message 1 of 4

Does Medion offer an Erazer P10 laptop repair service for a defective fan? If not, what can I do?

Hi,

On 25th August 2021 I bought a Medion Erazer P10 (md61876) - Intel Core i5 & Nvidia GTX 1660Ti 15.6" graphics card - for my daughter to use at 6th form college. She's been using it in term time since September 2021.

Around December the fan nearest the power socket (the fan in the top-left of the two interior pics in Guide: Your overheating Deputy P10 thread) started making a horrible noise. I know what the problem is - when that fan spins it wobbles suggesting either the bearings are worn out or it's being fouled by its own casing. The laptop shouldn't be having a fan problem this early into its life - the MTBF for a half-decent CPU/GPU fan should exceed 30,000 hours and we're talking about a lot less than 12,500 hours of use.

I bought it "open box" from a major retailer, so their RMA warranty was 12 months only - by then she'd had it for 16 months so I contacted Medion on 2nd January. Three weeks on, all I've had back is the auto-reply message:

**********This is an automated response**********
This is an automated response to your email. We find that most of the enquiries we receive are answered by the responses below.
Please take a moment to read through these solutions. If they do not resolve your question or problems, please reply to this email and we will process your query as soon as possible.
**********This is an automated response**********

On the off chance I'm missing something really obvious (having read https://www.medion.com/gb/service/warranty), does Medion provide a 2 year warranty for open-box laptops, is the laptop covered if I've taken the lid off purely to check the fan spins properly and isn't clogged up (without touching anything else), and if the warranty has expired/been invalidated how much would it cost to send it in for repair?

A quick scour of the internet suggests there are some repair centres around the UK that can sort the problem out, but the problem is none of them are anywhere near me as far as I can tell.

3 REPLIES 3
EastClintwood
Message 2 of 4
Message 2 of 4

Hello @peacalmer, and welcome to the community.

Please contact Medion Service to arrange a repair.
An estimate of costs can also be made before the repair if the unit is send in.

Regards,
EastClintwood

MEDION. LÄUFT BEI MIR.
• Web: www.medion.de • Community: community.medion.com • Facebook: MEDIONDeutschland • Instagram: @medion.de

Bitte belohne hilfreiche Antworten mit Kudos und markiere die beste Antwort/Lösung mit Als Lösung akzeptieren.
peacalmer
Beginner
Message 3 of 4
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for the reply. I've now received the information to send it in for assessment and a quote to repair. But it's taken quite a long time to get to this point and I've had to buy another laptop for my daughter to use for college work. The retailer's confirmed already that their RTB process ended before Christmas which is why we can't resolve it that way.

I do have a couple of follow-up questions:

1. In the event that the repair turns out to be uneconomical (for me) despite it being less than 18 months old, what then happens?

2. What is the MTBF for the fans in Medion laptops?

Based on experience I'd say 15,000 hours for a GPU fan in a laptop in optimal conditions is entirely realistic - the GPU fan on my last work laptop didn't have this problem and I logged over 12,000 hours on it, travelling for work and using it in very dusty locations. This issue is arising on her laptop after less than 3,000 hours of intensive use from the desk in her bedroom or from a college desk, AND a few other people have reported a similar issue. Without prejudice, if I were in a QA department and I saw a pattern along those lines, I'd be wondering if maybe a CPU/GPU fan supplier had sent through a bad batch.

EastClintwood
Message 4 of 4
Message 4 of 4

Hello @peacalmer,

1. If no repair is to be done after the cost estimation, normally two options are offered, either to send the device back unrepaired or to dispose of it on site.
2. we are sorry to hear that the laptop has problems with the fan after only about 3000 hours of operation. Unfortunately, I cannot give exact figures for the MTBF of individual components.

Please let us know if the repair went as well as you expected.

Greetings,
EastClintwood

MEDION. LÄUFT BEI MIR.
• Web: www.medion.de • Community: community.medion.com • Facebook: MEDIONDeutschland • Instagram: @medion.de

Bitte belohne hilfreiche Antworten mit Kudos und markiere die beste Antwort/Lösung mit Als Lösung akzeptieren.
3 REPLIES 3