Did you mean: 

Black Screen On MD 96340

13 REPLIES 13
devin_allerton
Trainee
Message 1 of 14
Message 1 of 14

Black Screen On MD 96340

Rarely used laptop but I wanted to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and cannot get the screen to activate. The laptop has been sitting unused for some years. It was stored without the battery in it. Was never dropped or abused and only has a few hours on it. It turns on and the lights are showing but no display, just a black/dead screen.

It was hooked up to a test monitor and got the same result. Is the motherboard bad? Is the graphics unit on the motherboard bad?

is there any hope for reviving it?

13 REPLIES 13
Gehringer
Retired
Message 2 of 14
Message 2 of 14

Hi @devin_allerton ,

can you please provide me the MSN number of your product?

It is an eight-digits number printed in the label with the Medion logo and it should probably start by 300 or 500.

I am not sure if I understood your issue correctly: you want to upgrade its Windows version to W10 but when you switch your product on there is no image displayed?

in that case, can you listen to the cooler switching on, the processor working and is it emitting any sounds?

Best regards,

Gehringer

devin_allerton
Trainee
Message 3 of 14
Message 3 of 14

The MSN # is 30007066. The model name is WAM 2070 Notebook PC.

Yes, I was trying to get it booted up in order to load Windows 10 on it. I made a mistake saying it has Windows 7, it came pre-loaded with Vista, which is why I never really used it. 

When I try to turn it on (with AC adaptor, not the battery) the green power light shows but no other. The green hard drive light does not come on. 

I do hear a sound briefly but that might be the CD/DVD drive powering on.

It's been sitting for years in its protective carrying case, in a room of my house. It seems to be totally dead and I don't know why. It's acting like the hard drive and motherboard are completely non-operational. There is no physical reason for them to fail other than it's been sitting for years. How do I get it operational again? 

devin_allerton
Trainee
Message 4 of 14
Message 4 of 14

I'm wondering if the CMOS battery needs to be replaced, to begin with? And where would I find the correct CMOS battery?

Tags (1)
akoya_E7222
Apprentice
Message 5 of 14
Message 5 of 14

@devin_allerton  schrieb:

I'm wondering if the CMOS battery needs to be replaced, to begin with? And where would I find the correct CMOS battery?

that's always a good move. maybe browse through ebay pictures since spare parts is best from there... wonder if anyone tried a distance call to China...

devin_allerton
Trainee
Message 6 of 14
Message 6 of 14

Could someone give me either the part # for the correct CMOS battery or tell me what I should be looking for in an after-market/generic replacement? 

Thanks in advance.

akoya_E7222
Apprentice
Message 7 of 14
Message 7 of 14

all I know is that in my MD 99260 the battery was well hidden from sight above the LEDs , upside, left hand side, front. the knob cell itself is usually a common type like CR2032

devin_allerton
Trainee
Message 8 of 14
Message 8 of 14

Thank you.

TPFLegionaire
Retired
Message 9 of 14
Message 9 of 14

@devin_allerton 

HI,

Have you been able to change the CMOS battery? has this solved your issue? 

Let us know, happy to carry on helping otherwise.

Cheers!
TPFLegionaire

MEDION AG - A Lenovo Company • • Community: community.medion.com

Please reward helpful posts with Kudos and mark solutions with Accept as solution.

devin_allerton
Trainee
Message 10 of 14
Message 10 of 14

Thank you for asking. The laptop is currently in the hands of a friend of a friend, I call  him "the computer guy". I asked him if he would get into it and replace the CMOS battery with a new one. I haven't heard anything back yet but I told him "no rush". He works a lot but in manufacturing, but not anything to do with computers.

I am not optimistic that it will help. I've tried every trick on the Internet to try to revive it without taking it apart. I can't imagine what could be wrong with it except for the CMOS battery, since it was barely used and sat protected on a shelf for years. It was working fine when I stored it.

13 REPLIES 13