cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MEDION Erazer Beast X30 17.3" (Power Pack/Charger Issues)

1 REPLY 1
JackViljoen95
Trainee
Message 1 of 2
Message 1 of 2

MEDION Erazer Beast X30 17.3" (Power Pack/Charger Issues)

Hi there!

I have owned the above laptop since around September of 2022, and have encountered some rather alarming issues with the Power Pack/Charger supplied with the laptop.

The laptop worked perfectly with no issues until early in November when using the laptop the electricity tripped in my apartment. The laptop was still functioning perfectly on battery power, so I unplugged all my devices, as I always do when switching the power back on in case of a power surge, and switched power back on from the fuse box. I plugged everything back in, including my laptop but when plugging the power pack into the wall, the laptop screen flashed a few times and the device switched off. I was then unable to switch the laptop on again, and the fans were not running, so I called Medion Product Support who asked me to run a few tests, and confirmed it would need to go back to them for repair. It turned out that the motherboard was completely fried and needed replacing, which Medion very kindly did under warranty, after I explained the situation to them. When they returned the laptop to me they sent back the original charger, but when trying to use the laptop it turned out that the old charger was no longer working so they sent me an indentical replacement.

The laptop then worked perfectly fine again without issues from December until today, when the power tripped again. This time in a completely different location. I was staying with my parents for the bank holiday weekend and the power tripped in the house. My laptop was not plugged in this time, just the charger was left in the wall overnight. I suspected that it might be charger and decided to plug it back into a working power socket but without the laptop NOT plugged in on the other side this time. Sure enough, as soon as the plug touched the socket with the power-brick attached to the other side, there was a flash of light and the power tripped again. The charger is now broken and no longer works.

I am dismayed to be contacting Medion Support about this yet again, but don't really know what to do. If it was simply an electrical problem it should not be happening at multiple locations. I don't want to just get another replacement charger, as it is essentially a ticking time bomb and could knock my laptop out of action again. Bear in mind this is not a cheap product by any means!

I would appreciate any assistance at all in solving this problem.

1 REPLY 1
daddle
Superuser
Message 2 of 2
Message 2 of 2

@JackViljoen95 

Twice having a power- and surgetripping in two different locations is quite funny.

The first time there must have been a overload, which killed your Mainboard. But funny, actually the power-pack getting an overload shouldn't let overvoltage or/and overcurrent leap into the laptop.

Same for the second time happening; the charger block got, through the tripping before, an overload, an second time putting it into the wall socket resulting in a shortage. This wall charger seems to be not very well constructed. No barrier against overvoltage or overamperage

But this is something which usuallay is not covered by guarantee. Except it is a wrong shortage and overcurrence protection built in or missing.

There exist especially wallsocket adapters with protection for overload (Voltage and Amperage); may be you should obtain one of these.

But this you have to discuss with the Medion Service, respectively with your reseller.

This Community-Forum ist for User help User purposes, we can not do anything in the sevice line.

Regards, daddle

1 REPLY 1