MEDION ERAZER ENGINEER X10 RTX3080 memory upgrade

3 REPLIES 3
Spozgar
Beginner
Message 1 of 4
Message 1 of 4

MEDION ERAZER ENGINEER X10 RTX3080 memory upgrade

Hey,

I recently purchased a MEDION Erazer engineer X10 RTX 3080, MSN 10023941. It has pretty good hardware, but the memory provided was single rank samsung memory M378A2G43AB3-CWE that I would like to buy an upgrade to (I figured the memory was the reason my computer underperformed on the CPU portion of 3d Mark). So I went and bought a kit of Kingston FURY Beast DDR4 3200 MHz CL16 32 Gt ( KF432C16BB1K2/32 ). Unfortunately those set to run at 2400Mhz and I was unable to tweak it in BIOS.

My question is what RAM kits from reputable manufacturers would take the memory to the maximum possible of 2933Mhz speed. Some of the local retailers selling memory here are https://www.verkkokauppa.com/fi/catalog/10428c/DDR4 , https://www.jimms.fi/fi/Product/List/000-00N/komponentit--muistit , https://www.power.fi/c/3678/tietotekniikka/tietokonekomponentit/muisti-ram/ (the shop I bought the machine from).

3 REPLIES 3
Gehringer
Retired
Message 2 of 4
Message 2 of 4

Hi @Spozgar ,

I hope one of our Community experts may give you a hand with that.

I can only suggest you buy these parts from our spare parts website here

Regards,

Gehringer

sweetpoison
Mentor
Message 3 of 4
Message 3 of 4

Hi,

It seems like you are willing to do some testing (hence 3dmark program) and that means at some point you are willing to open the case and replace the RAM modules (you are at 32Gb limit already so no more RAM to be added).

Still, before you buy, remove one bank of memory and test the remaining one at what frequency is working. If is still at 2400 MHz you can blame the motherboard for limiting the speed to the safe area. On the same note, when you install the RAM bank back make sure the slot is same color like the occupied one (to make sure is set for dual channel).

From intel CPU tech data: "Intel® processors come in four different types: Single Channel, Dual Channel, Triple Channel, and Flex Mode. Maximum supported memory speed may be lower when populating multiple DIMMs per channel on products that support multiple memory channels." That is about CPU. 

The MB might come with different way to set up the RAM frequency as well but that's nu much to be done about it.

Overall, figure out if it's worth it to replace the RAM other than trying to achieve a high score in 3DMark which BTW can be affected by many factors.

Speaking of 3DMark, run a CPU test, then set up from task manager a higher priority for the running program - see the difference. Of course there is a chance of making the system unstable if you go for highest priority.

Also, if you do the RAM removal thing take a picture of labels for that bank, it might contain useful information.

Cheers

Spozgar
Beginner
Message 4 of 4
Message 4 of 4

I decided to go a bit overboard and bought myself a new mobo from a sale ( https://www.jimms.fi/fi/Product/Show/169668/prime-z590m-plus/asus-prime-z590m-plus-matx-emolevy-tarj... ) . I thought that then I can tinker a little with my son and get my new RAM modules to work properly. I also bought a decent Noctua NH-U9S CPU cooler. I wasn´t expecting a big enhancement to my 3D mark scores since I didn´t do any overclocking stuff, just enabled the xmp profiles from BIOS that were previously locked with my original mobo. The impact on the CPU portion of the 3D mark benchmark was far from modest though. My CPU score actually went from 8900 (maybe little less) to 11070, thats over 20% increase in performance.

I started to think about the parts selection of the machine and I have to say I´m a bit puzzled. You could have had a better machine with probably the same prize if you´d dropped the SATA drive and put that extra budget to a better mobo (Z490?) and shipped it with 16GB RAM but better quality (dual rank gaming memory). As it is I feel a bit let down, since that poor performing single rank memory is easy to hide in the specs. In all the advertisements it just says 3200Mhz DDR4. The fact that the mobo wasn´t that good was my bad though. It was something that I could have read from the specs, but just wasn´t knowledgeable enough.

Current GPU situation is such that you´d have a golden opportunity to make prebuilt PC´s a popular choice, but I don´t think it´s a good idea to ship lackluster setups. That will most certainly bite you in the butt on the long run. Thats my five cents anyway.

3 REPLIES 3