Erazer P6689 laptop suddenly stopped working

5 REPLIES 5
Ozika
Beginner
Message 1 of 6
Message 1 of 6

Erazer P6689 laptop suddenly stopped working

Hi guys,

So i was gaming on my (Erazer P6689) laptop when suddenly the screen went black, no more lights, nothing. There was no warning, no BSOD, just suddenly dead. Unplugged it, and seemed to stay hot to touch even after being off for several minutes, it seemed to get more hot even after being off?

Took out the battery, held the on button for 60 seconds as i've read elsewhere, left it for 30 minutes as it was still quite warm and then tried again, nothing, no lights whether plugged in or without. However this morning tried with the battery again and this time and the battery light is on, but still no response. Left it plugged in and 30 mins later still doesn't turn on.

Any help or ideas would be welcome, before i go through a return process with Medion.

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
sweetpoison
Mentor
Message 2 of 6
Message 2 of 6

Hello,

Your problem description match an overheat failure and that include the feeling of heating up after the laptop powered off (heat dispersion over the steel plate that holds MB). There is only one more test you can run but involves battery level at the charging point and even with laptop not powered should lit the amber LED when you plug it to AC.

Any other tests would involve opening the case. 

Cheers.

Ozika
Beginner
Message 3 of 6
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for your reply.

I already went through the return process and it turns out it was a motherboard failure. Motherboard was replaced and the laptop is now back with us, the whole process took around 2 weeks from collection to re delivery. Rather impressed compared to previous experiences with other companies in the past. However i'd be disappointed if something similar happened again... it's a gaming laptop and only a couple of months old. I've bought a laptop cooler to place underneath hopefully that should help prevent similar issues.

sweetpoison
Mentor
Message 4 of 6
Message 4 of 6

Glad you manage to fix the problem. Cooler pad will not work because the all cooling system on this laptop is a mess. Well, didn't work for me at least (only 1 degree drop by using the pad).

Keep an eye on temperatures for CPU and GPU (I use Open Hardware Monitor - https://openhardwaremonitor.org since I kind of face same over healing problem)

As a hint to lower the temperature for CPU would be to set in Nvidia control panel a frame limit between 45 fps and 60 fps for your game. For me was a 10 degree Celsius drops on CPU. 

Please replay if after all the repairs the laptop is still heating same as before during normal game play. 

Cheers.

Ozika
Beginner
Message 5 of 6
Message 5 of 6

Yeah i get that. I think the cooling pad will mostly just help elevate the laptop, as to avoid it resting on soft surfaces like bedding etc. where it can stop airflow.

I've been using gpuz and coretemp to monitor and they seem to get to 85-90c (depending on ambient temperature) during long heavy gaming.

I will look into limiting the fps, that's a good tip, thanks !

sweetpoison
Mentor
Message 6 of 6
Message 6 of 6

85-90 was exactly in my case.

However for the moment I manage to set all things in a decent range:

https://ibb.co/kKPD9gd

5 REPLIES 5