cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B460H6-EM motherboard and M.2 connectors (on PC MD 35164)

1 REPLY 1
MrSoul
Beginner
Message 1 of 2
Message 1 of 2

B460H6-EM motherboard and M.2 connectors (on PC MD 35164)

Hello,

I recently purchased the PC Erazer Engineer P10 (MD 35164) NL (MSN: 1002 4269).

Unfortunately, I can't find any documentation about the internal connectors of this PC.

The datasheet indicates that the card has two M.2 ports that can be used for SSDs.

The M2_1 which is NGFF, and the M2_2 which is NVMe.

So, my question is the following, is the M2_1 port the one located just above the PCIe x16 port or the one located just above the 4 SATA3 ports?

I would also like to know if the SSD (M.2 (2280) 512GB Phison PS3111-S11 B27) is NVMe and especially if it has a B-key, M-Key or B-M-Key connector.

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
daddle
Superuser
Message 2 of 2
Message 2 of 2

@MrSoul 

Hi Mr. Soul,

your PC comes with a Phison PCIe  M.2 SATA SSD in Slot M.2.1, the one next to the PCIe x16 slot. The one vertikally mounted next to the memory modules (In the picture the mainboard is printed headover), is a socket for a PCIe (NVMe)  M.2 ( it has a M-Key only). 

The other one next to the PCIe x16 port, almost in the middle beneath an optional graphic card, is a  M.2 Socket for a SATA M.2 SSD with B+M Key, because the attached protocol is a SATA protocol.

If this socket is equipped with your boot SSD, it must be a SATA M.2 SSD.

Your built in  M2 SSD is a   PCIe SATA  with a B+ M-Key,  The M.2  _1 socket next to the PCIe x16 socket  has a M-Key..

Most SATA M2 SSD itself have usuallly B+M Key in the edge-connectors, and fits as well in sockets with space for only B, only  M or with  B +M keys coded edge connectors of corresponding SSDs.

Look here:

--> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.2

--> https://community.medion.com/t5/FAQs/FAQ-Spezifikationen-Mainboard-quot-ECS-B460H6-EM-quot/ta-p/9715...,

B460H6-EMt.PNG

Both protocolls for SATA od NVMe can be linked  to  a socket corresponding for a M.2 SSD with or  a B-Key, or a M- Key.or in case of SATA M.2 SSDs with both keys.

Both M2 Slots on your mainboard have a M-Key, but the one next to the Ram modules. the M.2 _2  is for a PCIe (NVMe) SSD. The one in the middle (M.2_1) is for SATA only.

And both types of M2 SSDs are called NGFF; means Next Generatiion Form Factor.

Cheers, daddle

Edit:

I corrected the post thanks to getnichgibsnich. So your PC is equipped with a M.2 SSD next to the PCIe x 16 slot. Correct?  

Which is as I wrote a socket with a M-Keys receptable connected with the SATA protocol.

Just to be precise, the third M.2 Socket ist for use with a WiFi card only.

1 REPLY 1