Did you mean: 

H67H2 - EM v1.0 - update

4 REPLIES 4
johninstalbans
Contributor
Message 1 of 5
Message 1 of 5

H67H2 - EM v1.0 - update

I was presented with an unusual fairly anonymous update on start-up a couple of days ago, which i presume was to the ECS motherboard (above)  - although I can't track it down on my system. Can you confirm that one was distributed recently, and perhaps give more information on purpose, version number etc.? 

I rather foolishly just accepted it and now I'm not sure whether it is behind a problem that occurred the following day:

On boot-up, I got a black screen with the message, headed American Megatrends,saying:

H67H2-EM Release 03/04/2011

Version 2.02.1205 Copyright AM Inc 2010

Press <F8> to enter BBS POPUP

Press <DEL> or <F2> to enter setup.

CMOS Settings Wrong.

Initially I was unable to get past this screen, as my wifi keyboard would not register any key strokes.

However, I eventually stripped out unnecessary connections (and changed the 8-year old CMOS battery, just in case!) and was rewarded with keyboard recognition, so I have now been throught the setup screen and reset to the default parameters - apparently successfully.

Is my suspicion of the update well-founded (and how should I check for its status)?

OR..... could there be any connection with my coincident attempt to install a new RX 460 graphics card (so far unsuccessful) in place of my Radeon HD 6750; it doesn't have a 6-pin connector, so MAY be trying to draw too much power (although it's said to be max 75w) from the PCI-E Gen.2 slot.

I'd be pleased to hear any thoughts.

John (UK)

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
TPFLegionaire
Retired
Message 2 of 5
Message 2 of 5

hi @johninstalbans 

Welcome to the forums ,

Could you let me know the MSN number of your medion product
Could you tell me what software presented you with the update, our medion software?
Once we know that we could look at this site to see what are the latest updates were made available for your machine.

Is everything working ok on your machine after this update?

As regards to the instalation of the new video card, if you try to reinstall it, do you get the same issue as before ?
I am of the opinion that the issues are separate...First let's identify the update installed and then we can look at how we can get your video card to work.
I'll catch up with you on Monday if you are able to post an update this weekend.

Cheers!
TPFLegionaire

MEDION AG - A Lenovo Company • • Community: community.medion.com

Please reward helpful posts with Kudos and mark solutions with Accept as solution.

johninstalbans
Contributor
Message 3 of 5
Message 3 of 5

Hi @TPFLegionaire 

MSN 10014858 - I don't see anything likely in the linked list.

I wish I could recall what it looked like - it was very basic - small white text on a small black screen and I think quite anonymous; I seem to remember 15.1 appearing. I was anxious to ensure that the system was up to date before trying the new graphics card! I can't remember ever seeing such an update before (immediately after starting up), which made me think it must be the basic system/motherboard which rarely changes. [By the way, from another chain on this site, I've found the latest BIOS is version 0619 - could that have been recently distributed? But my System Info shows BIOS Version as American Megatrends Inc 4.6.4, 04/03/2011 (SMBIOS version 2.6).]

Things seem to be OK now - but I'm nervous that it will happen again when I turn off! Or when I try again to install the new GPU, which I'll do after I've sent this.

Thanks for your interest.

John

johninstalbans
Contributor
Message 4 of 5
Message 4 of 5

OK, I 've had another try with the new GPU and it still doesn't work (I'm pretty sure it's the power issue) - but gpoing back to the original card did NOT cause any problem with re-starting (relief!). So I must assume that the earlier reversion to default CMOS settings has resolved that issue.

The vendor has agreed to take the GPU back and I've found a reasonably-priced (used) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 570 4GB which looks as though it should work, given a 120w power draw through both PCI-E and 6-pin connector (as my present card). My only question is that the card's interface is shown as PCIe 3.0 x 16, but I understand that it should be backwards-compatible with earlier versions - as long as the available power supply through it is still 75w. I'll try to get it on a returnable basis!

TPFLegionaire
Retired
Message 5 of 5
Message 5 of 5

Hi

Looks like you have the situation under control.
Very smart of you to request a returnable item.
You are right the card should be backward compatible with the slots.
The power supply is key and if that new card does not tax it over its stated output then it "should" work.
Have you considered replacing the power supply with something more powerful?

Cheers!
TPFLegionaire

MEDION AG - A Lenovo Company • • Community: community.medion.com

Please reward helpful posts with Kudos and mark solutions with Accept as solution.

4 REPLIES 4