Burkathy
Trainee
Nachricht 1 von 8
5.222 Aufrufe
Nachricht 1 von 8
5.222 Aufrufe

11.6" Notebook E2228T Model MD 61050

11.6" Notebook E2228T Model MD 61050

My Medion Akoya  E2228T with Intel® Atom® x5-Z8300 processor is asking for the Bios password and I must have entered it originally mis-spelt as now it will not accept what I thought it was. I cannot get past the Medion logo on start-up, as it asks for the password and after 3 attempts will not accept anymore. I've tried caps lock on and off even though it was only numbers. Medion says I have to reflash the bios or send it back and pay for the service (approx £100 + postage). So I am looking to do it myself.

Anyone have any knowledge of what is involved to help me? I have opened the case and disconnected the battery overnight but that did not help. Possibly shorting points on the motherboard is the answer but what points to short? There is no cmos battery or jumpers that I can recognise, so cannot use that method..

It runs on an SSD but it the connections are complicated, and taped to the back of the machine so I don't like to touch that, but removing, then formating it and reinstalling windows using another pc could also work?

Absolutely no access to the OS so recovery options are not available. I have proof of purchase and am registered with Medion who have helped me out in the past with problems under the warranty, but this is not covered. Can anyone help me save it from the dustbin please?

Many thanks in advance if anyone out there can.

2228T Model MD 61050

7 ANTWORTEN 7
TPFLegionaire
Retired
Nachricht 2 von 8
5.208 Aufrufe
Nachricht 2 von 8
5.208 Aufrufe

Hi @Burkathy 

I have seen your previous post on the same subject a month ago and unfortunately the only way we can sugest to resolve this is a return of the machine to our service centre for an out of warranty repair.
This does have an associated cost , you would recieve a quotation with the option to decline if it was not economicaly viable for you.

Please contact our team  should you wish to proceed with a return.

Cheers!
TPFLegionaire

MEDION AG - A Lenovo Company • • Community: community.medion.com

Please reward helpful posts with Kudos and mark solutions with Accept as solution.

Burkathy
Trainee
Nachricht 3 von 8
5.195 Aufrufe
Nachricht 3 von 8
5.195 Aufrufe

Thanks TPFLegionaire,

I have been in contact with Medion about this problem, and they quoted me approx £100 plus postage etc. and no guarantee of fixing it. I have had a lot of problems with this notebook and was having problems with it when this happened, so I don.t think it a viable option to spend that amount when something else could go wrong at a later stage. It doesn't like the microsoft updates as they can take up GB's and even with extra storage loaded it can still lose the OS hence me going into the Bios.  As I have opened it now the warranty would be invalid. I have looked up Youtube videos and some notebooks are able to be reprogrammed or 'flashed' so I thought I would ask if anyone out there could help me to do it, it appears that probably not?

Anyway thankyou for taking the trouble to reply, so I awarded you a Kudos.

Kind regards

Burkathy

gojoy
Newcomer
Nachricht 4 von 8
5.189 Aufrufe
Nachricht 4 von 8
5.189 Aufrufe

look here:

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/reset-bios-password/

if you have already opened the device, try this:

take out the CMOS-Battery, wait some time (may be 1 minute), then attach it again.

good luck

gojoy
Newcomer
Nachricht 5 von 8
5.185 Aufrufe
Nachricht 5 von 8
5.185 Aufrufe

The idea with the CMOS battery was not good - notebooks don't usually have one, sorry

I have a E2228 too with AMI BIOS.

try one of the backdoor bios passwords:

AAAMMMIII
AMI?SW

A.M.I.

or try this:

https://www.online-tech-tips.com/cool-websites/reset-bios-password/

TPFLegionaire
Retired
Nachricht 6 von 8
5.148 Aufrufe
Nachricht 6 von 8
5.148 Aufrufe

@Burkathy 

I had a chat with my service people again, we took one apart , there is indeed no cmos battery on that model.
I can tell you that the motherboard costs plus labour plus VAT would bring it to close to 200 pounds which is basicaly the price new.
I don't think it is economicaly viable to get it repaired.it's your call of course if you want to send it in for an official quotation.

At this time I do not have any other insight on password recovery for that type of BIOS or how to flash it.
Let us know if you find a way.

Good luck

Cheers!
TPFLegionaire

MEDION AG - A Lenovo Company • • Community: community.medion.com

Please reward helpful posts with Kudos and mark solutions with Accept as solution.

Burkathy
Trainee
Nachricht 7 von 8
5.126 Aufrufe
Nachricht 7 von 8
5.126 Aufrufe

Many thanks Gojoy,

I will try these as I have nothing to lose, & I am very grateful

Burkathy

Burkathy
Trainee
Nachricht 8 von 8
5.125 Aufrufe
Nachricht 8 von 8
5.125 Aufrufe

Many thanks TPFLegionaire,

I'm very grateful you took all the trouble to reassess the problem with the Medion techs. for me. So sad for such a simple mistake of me miss-typing to wreck a handy notebook. I will try the bios passwords offered by Gojoy just in case they work.

Perhaps this is something that Medion/Lenovo could remedy in future  by having a bios recovery password? I hope so.

Your answer is very practical to me

Again many thanks

Burkathy

7 ANTWORTEN 7