Did you mean: 

Erazer Deputy P10 CPU temperatures

12 REPLIES 12
Arameus90
New Voice
Message 1 of 13
Message 1 of 13

Erazer Deputy P10 CPU temperatures

Hey ! I have bought a brand new Erazer Deputy P10 a few days ago (i5-10300H, 16GB ram, RTX2060) and when I play Battlefield 5 multiplayer (on medium graphics btw) the processor becoming extremely hot in a couple of minutes, that the game is being absolutely unplayable because of the constant drops in the fps. Fraps shows a stable ~110fps, then it suddenly drops to 15fps for a 1-2secounds, then back to 100, and so on. In a 30 minutes game, even the battery starts draining down while it is connected to the power. I had a look on the sensors with the HWInfo, and I found some horrible numbers, the CPU reaches very high temperatures during normal tasks (downloading, windows update, etc..) as well. I think it's not normal. I'm using my laptop on a simple hard wooden desk, in a room where temperature is kind of cool (18 degrees Celsius) so it shouldn't be an issue. Also my previous HP Omen 15 from 2017 was used in the same conditions and I did not have any temperature or power issues with it, even with these high-demanding games. Who should I contact about this? I've attached some screenshots. start.jpggaming1.jpg

12 REPLIES 12
Arameus90
New Voice
Message 2 of 13
Message 2 of 13

As it doesn't show the screenshots yet because of waiting on stupid approval; The CPU temperature reaching critical values (100degrees Celsius), so it throttles back. That's why the games are unplayable, because of the "fps-lags", caused by the thermal throttling.

sweetpoison
Mentor
Message 3 of 13
Message 3 of 13

Welcome to forum,

The FPS drop is most likely the CPU protection (I suspect CPU and CPU share the heat sink). Easy fix is to limit the FPS on nvidia control panel to 60. It is a laptop therefore cooling system is not one of the best to hold a full load on CPU/GPU. Additional cooling pad might help as well.

The reason for limiting FPS on nvidia control panel: even on medium or low settings the GPU tend to work hard to create lots of FPS hence the extra heat. Seek to balance the FPS and temperature since above 85 Celsius part of the heat goes to CPU and that one will cut off the work as self protection. I might be wrong and for this particular laptop the heat sink not to be shared but the FPS drop is 100% caused by overheat.

A MSN of your laptop might help to dig technical info about your machine.

Let us know how that works.

Cheers

Edit:

Now that I see the screenshots I can only think at windows updates running in background (lots of updates related to "20h2" for the past 2 weeks). Make sure before open a game session there are no updates pending (downloads/install/restarts). On the bright side, the laptop perform much better after all updates compared to 1 month ago.

Arameus90
New Voice
Message 4 of 13
Message 4 of 13

Hey! It's MSN30029468. Thanks for your reply! there wasn't any windows updates running at that time, I did all of them in advance (updated to 20H2 and all its patches) before I started running games on the laptop. Since my last message I did a factory reset, downloaded other games, tested it on the original build 1909 and I can say its even worse, games I played on my Omen 15 without the laptop being too hot, in the same conditions are making this Deputy P10 run the fans on full power (very loud though, but I accept it as it's a thin but strong machine) sweating blood under the same pressure, plus thermal throttling, power throttling, and battery draining, so I assume this Laptop is faulty (I'm curious about the thermal compound's (non)existence on this CPU, I remember back in the days when I had to error-check some PC-s, the Pentium 3 processors could do similar things if you missed the silver paste before putting on the cooler), and I'm gonna get in touch with the retailer to send the laptop back.

sweetpoison
Mentor
Message 5 of 13
Message 5 of 13

Looks like a warranty issue from this point. 

I hope the problem to be solved soon.

Cheers

Indy89
New Voice
Message 6 of 13
Message 6 of 13

Hi, just wondering how you got on with Medion support regarding this issue. Interested as got the same model laptop and having the exact same issue with it as you are regarding the CPU temps. Raised it with Medion now and awaiting a response but was curious on how your getting on with them and if the issue has been resolved. Cheers. 

Arameus90
New Voice
Message 7 of 13
Message 7 of 13

Hey! At the end I’ve decided to send the laptop back to the retailer, because I contacted them as well and they accepted the case as a warranty issue. I was in the first 28days after purchase, so I got it refunded. If you have raised the issue with Medion and awaiting response, just wait a few days as they are slow, and you will need the MSN number of your laptop and a proof of purchase (invoice) then they will offer you to book your laptop in for a repair, so you’ll have to choose a pick-up date, when a delivery driver will take the laptop from your address. As I have said I did not choose this option, because I was in the first 28days after purchase, so the retailer I bought this laptop from, sorted it out with a refund. I just simply did not want to stick to this machine anymore, I have bough an other brand instead. If your machine is new, and producing the same issues, I assume it’s a faulty product batch, or just the cooling system/design is generally inefficient in this product range. 
Good luck!

Indy89
New Voice
Message 8 of 13
Message 8 of 13

Cheers for replying. Reported my issues to the store I bought it from and sadly refund is last resort with them likely be a replacement unit I get first. Hopefully it's not a fault across them all. 

iam1elephants
Beginner
Message 9 of 13
Message 9 of 13

Hi - just writing to say I have the same issue as well (purchased December 2020). Sent it to Medion as the seller informed me I needed to do this first to get a refund/return to document the fault as a warranty issue. I'm not sure what Medion have done. Let me know how you get on with your machine. 

Indy89
New Voice
Message 10 of 13
Message 10 of 13

Hi, did they fix the issue for you or are you waiting to hear back from Medion?

Sounding like a common issue with this model. 

If they have curred the issue I have a strong suspicion that they did not apply thermal paste to the CPU before adding the heatsink at factory. The symptoms certainly match what I would expect if thermal paste had been forgotten. 

I contacted the store I bought it from as this unit had really bad backlight bleed too but starting to wish I'd just gone to Medion direct now as the store asks you give them 7 days to check the item on return. Not to mention waiting for repair replacement. 

Cheers for the response I'll update how things go. 

12 REPLIES 12