cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot get games to use RTX4060 GPU on Erazer Deputy P40 - Intel Core i7-12700H - Nvidia RTX 4060

SOLVED
4 REPLIES 4
DragonScale
New Voice
Message 1 of 5
Message 1 of 5

Cannot get games to use RTX4060 GPU on Erazer Deputy P40 - Intel Core i7-12700H - Nvidia RTX 4060

I've just bought a new Deputy P40 with Intel Corei7-12700H and Nvidia RTX4060.

Windows shows there are two display drivers, Intel Iris XE and Nvidia RTX 4060.  When playing a game such as Fortnite, on settings recommended and set by the GeForce Experience software, we're only getting 2 fps!  I'm pretty sure that games are using the Iris Xe rather than the RTX 4060 GPU.  I disabled the Iris XE Display driver in Windows device manager, but this only made things worse, with the laptop unable to sense the display has 144Hz etc.  How can I get the laptop to use the RTX 4060 for Windows and games?

Any help greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
oO_Konan_Oo
New Voice
Message 5 of 5
Message 5 of 5

Medion support (who were excellent) have confirmed it's a hardware fault and have recommended I return to the retailer as DOA.  I just hope the replacement arrives for Christmas! 😕

A bit of Googling confirms that NVidia RTX cards throttling to 210Mhz is a known issue caused by the chip which measures the power consumption of the GPU being broken and misreporting voltage and power consumption stats.  This causes the card to lock down to a "safe" mode at it's lowest possible clock speed (hence why it's locked at 210Mhz).

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
oO_Konan_Oo
New Voice
Message 2 of 5
Message 2 of 5

The OP was my son, I've been helping him try to diagnose and fix this.  It turns out that the problem isn't that it's only using the Intel IRIS Xe, I can see in windows task manager performance pane that the 4060 is being utilised (and at pretty much 100%), however all games are running incredibly slowly.  Fortnite on medium settings struggles to achieve 5fps, when lots of videos on YouTube show that 60fps on Epic settings should be possible on a i7 RTX4060 laptop.  Even Minecraft is struggling to get above 20fps 😞

We've been into the Erazer Control Centre and tried switching from MS Hybrid to Discrete GPU only.  This reboots the machine with the RTX 4060 as the only available display driver but doesn't resolve the problem.  We can still only get 5fps on medium settings in Fortnight.

Any ideas on how to solve this would be greatly appreciated.  It's supposed to be my son's Christmas present that he's put a lot of his own money towards, and so far he's really upset that it's essentially useless for gaming.

DragonScale
New Voice
Message 3 of 5
Message 3 of 5

We've made some progress on diagnosis, but no fix yet.  Nvidia performance overlay is showing that the GPU clock is limited to 210Mhz.  This should be much higher, particularly when under load (2000Mhz+).  Bizarrely the overlay also says the GPU power is stuck at 588 Watts, which cannot be true otherwise the laptop would be on fire lol.  A bit of googling shows that this is a common (ish) problem across a range of laptop manufacturers.  Most common fix seems to be either a BIOS update or rollback, so that's the next thing to try I think.  Sadly, while I can download the BIOS update, I've not worked out yet how to apply it 😕

DragonScale
New Voice
Message 4 of 5
Message 4 of 5

BIOS update - didn't work

Use DDU tool to clean GFX card settings and then reinstall clean fresh drivers - didn't work

oO_Konan_Oo
New Voice
Message 5 of 5
Message 5 of 5

Medion support (who were excellent) have confirmed it's a hardware fault and have recommended I return to the retailer as DOA.  I just hope the replacement arrives for Christmas! 😕

A bit of Googling confirms that NVidia RTX cards throttling to 210Mhz is a known issue caused by the chip which measures the power consumption of the GPU being broken and misreporting voltage and power consumption stats.  This causes the card to lock down to a "safe" mode at it's lowest possible clock speed (hence why it's locked at 210Mhz).

4 REPLIES 4