cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FAQs on Wi-Fi connections

FAQs on Wi-Fi connections

The router settings explained in these FAQs can only be generalised due to the many different routers and router menus. The specific settings can be found in the manuals.

• Can special characters be used in the SSID and Wi-Fi password?

• Special characters and umlauts often lead to errors in the Wi-Fi scan function of the devices involved. You are on the safe side if the characters used in the wireless network name (SSID) and also in the Wi-Fi password are limited to the ranges a-z, A-Z and 0-9.
  • Why can't my device find the Wi-Fi router in the 5 GHz range?

• There are drivers that DFS (Dynamic Frequency Selection) and only find the 5 GHz channels 36 to 48. If a DFS-capable router sets a higher channel because it is free, the adapter will not find the Wi-Fi. The only remedy is to set a fixed channel in the router, but this can again lead to overlaps with other Wi-Fi networks (in the European Union, channels 52 - 64 and 100 - 140).
  • How do I secure my Wi-Fi network?

• Firstly, the default user password of the router should be changed. The standard passwords often do not provide any real protection. Many can be found using a search engine. Be sure to replace the factory-set Wi-Fi password with one of your own.
    WPA2-PSK with AES (encryption method) is the first choice for encryption. However, router manufacturers assign different names here.
    Many Wi-Fi devices offer a WPS button for easy connection. This function should be deactivated in the router after pairing the devices.
    Keep the firmware of the router and the drivers of the devices used up to date. In many routers, the search for the latest firmware can be automated.
    Routers offer the option of restricting the devices authorised to access them. A unique identifier (MAC address) is used for this purpose, which every network card receives ex works and is analysed by a MAC filter in the router. Only MAC addresses known to the filter, i. e. entered manually, are granted access. However, these filters are not a real obstacle for professional hackers, However, they do at least keep unsuspecting neighbours out of the network.
    Disable the remote configuration of the router, if available.
  • What can I do if I cannot access the Internet via Wi-Fi?

• Check the obvious sources of error first.
    Is the DSL status LED on the router lit? If not, there may be a network fault. This can only be clarified by calling your provider. Before doing so, however, the cables (DSL cable TAE to RJ45) should be checked and the router restarted.
    Routers usually display a status page in their settings. If you are not familiar with the procedure, refer to your router's manual to find out how to access this page. You may be able to find information about the type of error on this page and use it to search for solutions in a search engine or ask here in the community.
    Do you have several devices with Internet access, such as a smartphone and notebook or PC? Test whether the error occurs on all of them. This indicates problems with the router or access point. In this case, the router or access point should also be restarted.
    If only one specific device cannot access the Internet, restart it. If this is unsuccessful, check the settings to see if your Wi-Fi network is found. If no networks are displayed, reinstalling the drivers often helps with notebooks or PCs. For Android tablets or smartphones, you can go back to the factory settings as a test to rule out a hardware defect.
  • How do I find the MAC address of a Wi-Fi card?

• Call up an input console under Windows. To do this, press the Windows key + R. Type cmd and confirm with Enter. Then write ip-config /all and confirm again with Enter.
    Scroll down to the Wireless LAN adapter WiFi entry. The MAC address is referred to as the physical address in the list. It consists of six blocks, each two characters wide, separated by a minus sign.
    Under current Android versions, you can find the MAC address under Settings ➜ Device information ➜ Status: Wi-Fi MAC address.
  • How can I improve the Wi-Fi reception?

• Find a suitable router location
    Ideally, the router should be as central as possible and located between the devices in use. Please note that that radio waves are attenuated, scattered or reflected by various materials. Partitions and walls considerably weaken a Wi-Fi signal.
    Aligning the antennas correctly also improves reception. Wi-Fi antennas emit their signals above the vertical axis. The antennas should therefore not point towards the target object, but at right angles to it. A horizontal position optimises Wi-Fi reception for other floors, a vertical position optimises reception on the same floor.
    If the router does not have any external antennas, turning the device alone can achieve a significant improvement under certain circumstances.
    To measure the signal strength owners of a Fitz!Box can download the Fritz!App WLAN from Google Play. Owners of other routers can use the WiFi Analyzer (open source).

Remove potential sources of interference.
    Potential sources of interference are primarily devices that also transmit in the 2.4 or 5 GHz range. These include, for example, microwave ovens, cordless telephones, wireless video transmitters and wireless loudspeakers. Devices of this type can be switched off or removed for test purposes removed to check whether they have a negative effect on the Wi-Fi reception.

Update the router firmware.
    The router firmware should not only be kept up to date for security reasons. The updates often also include technical improvements. You can usually check whether a firmware update is available in the router's user interface. Log in to the router and search in the menu for terms such as update or update in the menu. The update can usually be downloaded and installed with just one click. A restart is required after the update. The access data for the Internet is retained in most router models.

Set the maximum signal strength.
    Many routers offer manual configuration of the transmission power in their settings. This allows the signal strength of the Wi-Fi signal to be improved, if it is not already set to 100%.

Change the Wi-Fi channel.
    The Wi-Fi signal can be significantly reduced in multi-party homes, If a radio channel is used by many parties at the same time. The apps mentioned under Finding a suitable router location can help, check the utilisation of the individual channels. Another channel can then be permanently set in the router settings, which is used less frequently. For 802.11g / n standards, a channel should be selected from 1, 5, 9 or 13, as these avoid overlapping with others. Each channel overlaps depending on the standard used.

Use the 5 GHz frequency band.
    Modern routers offer two frequency ranges (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz). The 5 GHz range is generally less busy and offers speed advantages, but is less robust if walls or ceilings have to be crossed. The prerequisite for 5 GHz operation is, of course, that all devices involved can communicate on the 5 GHz band.
    In Windows, this can be found out for Wi-Fi cards as follows:
    Press the Windows key + r
    Type in cmd and confirm with Enter
    Then type: netsh wlan show drivers and confirm again with Enter
    Look for the section Supported radio types. If the network adapter supports 802.11a, 802.11ac and / or 802.11n network modes, this means that the Wi-Fi card can transmit in the 5 GHz range.
    For better differentiation in network selection, different names can be assigned to the SSID of the two frequency ranges. 
  • How do I delete a saved Wi-Fi password under Windows 10?

• The settings dialogue Manage known networks offers this option. To do this, use the key combination Windows key + I to open the Settings. Continue with Network and Internet, click on Wi-Fi in the menu on the left. The link Manage known networks lists the known Wi-Fi networks. Now click on the relevant network.
    Finally, click on the unintuitive Do not save button to ensure that Windows asks for a password the next time you try to connect.
  • I want to use my devices permanently in the 5 GHz network. What do I have to do?

• You create separate SSIDs in the router for the 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz networks. Also use separate passwords for the networks. Then connect your devices to the 5 GHz network.
  • Where can I see the utilisation of the individual radio channels?

• Use an app, such as Fritz! App W-LAN or WiFi overview 360, which shows you the utilisation of the individual wireless channels.
  • How do I find out whether my devices support the 5 GHz network?

• Wi-Fi devices that support the Wi-Fi AC standard, operate in the 5 GHz network. 802.11n is another standard that can use both the 2.4 GHz and the 5 GHz network. Information about the supported standards can be found in the manual.

Version history
Last update:
‎30.04.2024 07:50
Updated by:
Contributors