cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to buy the correct ssd drive and install for Engineer x10, gigabyte b660m ds3h ax motherboad

5 REPLIES 5
spacebus
New Voice
Message 1 of 6
Message 1 of 6

How to buy the correct ssd drive and install for Engineer x10, gigabyte b660m ds3h ax motherboad

Hi all, I've never installed an ssd so need some help here please.  first off I want a 4tb ssd either a Kingston or Crucial one, or do you know of any reliable ones?  I'm looking at Amazon so I want to know what compatible one to buy please?  Also how and where do I install it?  .  I have posted some pics of the sata 3 lead and a pic that looks like a bracket.  Do I need an extra lead for the power?  I know that's a lot of questions but I would really appreciate the help, many thanks.

the computer it did come with IMG_2111.JPGIMG_2112.JPG

5 REPLIES 5
daddle
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Message 2 of 6

@spacebus 

Hi spacebus,

To give you some informations we need to know the MSN number It's on a sticker underneath or on the backpanel.

But basically your PC has two M.2 PCIe Slots One connected to the CPU is fittet with a 1 TB PCIe M.2 SSD.

The second slot is situated besides the first PCIE x1 slot. Check with the mb-picture.   So you don't need the SATA cable.

You do need a PCIe M.2 SSD 2280, which just has be put in the corresponding slot. The cables in your picture you do not need. (second picture is not sharp!)

Cheers, daddle

B660M DS3H AX DDR4B660M DS3H AX DDR4
spacebus
New Voice
Message 3 of 6
Message 3 of 6

Hiya, many thanks for the reply.  My number is MD34815.  I thought that was the M2 slot, it's just snug against the graphics card.  I will keep the other existing M2 card in the other slot for 'Windows' which I don't really want to remove the GPU as not feeling very confident on putting it back on.  But I did find a sata 3 power cable that is available to connext to a sata 3 ssd, so may get one of those to fit in the hard disk tray at the top right of the computer.  The Samsung 870 evo or Crucial MX500 looks good.  Have you any ideas on sata 3 ssd's?  Many thanks for the help.

daddle
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Message 4 of 6

@spacebus 

The extra M.2 Slot  is for  M.2 PCIe SSDs which  are much faster than the SATA SSDs, independent if M.2 SATA SSD or 2.5" NB SSDs.  Both are same "slow", compared to a M.2 PCIe SSD.

We  generally give no advice for buying equipment or peripherals, just general notes.

daddle

spacebus
New Voice
Message 5 of 6
Message 5 of 6

Many thanks for the help.  I've have a look at both options but I've learnt that the 2.5 sata's are more durable.  Many thanks

daddle
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Message 6 of 6

@spacebus 

Could be a little. But which  2.5" SATA disk do you talk about?

A  SATA 2.5" can be a HDD (hard disk drive) or a SSD - Solid State Disk.

It shows You argue with little knowledge or overview.

I don't think you are seriously talking about a 2,5" HDD. Then we can don't have to  discuss any further.

A SATA 2.5" SSD isn't more durable than a M.2 SATA  SSD or  a M.2 PCIe SSD. But this last one is 6 to 8  times faster. And cheap enough to get a spare external disk to save an image regularly.

Cheers, daddle

5 REPLIES 5