My laptop refuses to recognize a bootable USB

5 REPLIES 5
EvilRaceHorse
Trainee
Message 1 of 6
Message 1 of 6

My laptop refuses to recognize a bootable USB

Hello, everyone.

I'm dealing with a seemingly simple and straightforward problem that's driving me mad.
I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

My laptop is Medion Akoya E2216T MD 99940. (here is the link of it: https://aldi.medion.com/md99940/nord/?partnerID=101248 )

I'm trying to install Lubuntu/Ubuntu 18.04 on this laptop using a bootable USB. It works PERFECTLY with other laptops. But with this one, it refuses to boot from USB for some reason. I have disabled "Fast Boot", "Quite Boot", "Secure Boot" on the BIOS. , I do see the USB on the connected devices and also the BIOS itself. This exact same thing happens with an external hard drive as well.

"My BIOS version: American Megatrends, Core version 5.011 . Compliancy UEFI 2.4 PI 1.3"

Does anyone know what I should do in this situation?
I just need to get the laptop to recognize my USB/external hard drive.

Thanks to all of you in advance Smiley Happy

5 REPLIES 5
Bodgekin
Mentor
Message 2 of 6
Message 2 of 6

Hi @EvilRaceHorse

Is your USB stick UEFI or legacy boot enabled? If it is Legacy, try looking in your BIOS if there is a Legacy / CSM / other OS option or something like it. If the stick should be UEFI, then I don't see why it wouldn't boot, but I don't have any experience with Linux. 

Kind regards,
Bart
EvilRaceHorse
Trainee
Message 3 of 6
Message 3 of 6

Unfortunately there is no option to legacy mode in BIOS. But the stick is UEFI, I played around with Fast/Secure/Quiet boot combinations. Burning the USB with MBR and GPT partitions, but the result is the same. The BIOS sees the USB but cannon boot from it.

The problem is, it works perfectly in my HP laptops and I don't need to make any changes to BIOS. So I'm confused as to what the issue would be...
ghleo
Beginner
Message 4 of 6
Message 4 of 6

Hi

I have the same problem!!

Have to find the solution to boot an external hard drive via USB??

If you do, please share the solution.

cheers~

sherrijackson
Newcomer
Message 5 of 6
Message 5 of 6

Did you make sure your bootable USB drive is formatted in the FAT32 file system if your computer supports UEFI? And what is the first boot priority in BIOS?

https://www.domyhomework4me.onl

daddle
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Message 6 of 6

@EvilRaceHorse 

@EvilRaceHorse wrote:

My laptop is Medion Akoya E2216T MD 99940. (....)

I'm trying to install Lubuntu/Ubuntu 18.04 on this laptop using a bootable USB. It works PERFECTLY with other laptops. But with this one, it refuses to boot from USB for some reason. I have disabled "Fast Boot", "Quite Boot", "Secure Boot" on the BIOS. , I do see the USB on the connected devices and also the BIOS itself. This exact same thing happens with an external hard drive as well.

How did you make your USB Stick? With which program?

Your UEFI-Bios allows only to boot from a certified (equipped with Microsofts signature) UEFI compatible bootstick. If it helps, try to boot with deactivated Secure Boot. Thats all. 

You also can start your PC by repeatedly tapping F10 tab immediately  after pressing power button. (some NBs need the F8 tab)

It will show the single bootmenu solely on your screen, without entering UEFI itself.

Within the menu you can choose your USB stick if it has a UEFI stamp.

Secure Boot should be set to Off and Standard.

If it does not boot, the stick doesn't meet the  UEFI requirements  

If your Stick boots with other PCs, then those are not UEFI-PCs, or have a Compatibility Support Mode (CSM) setting (also named Legacy, Win 7/Other OS).

cheers, daddle

5 REPLIES 5