constant Bluescreens on my Medion Gaming Laptop

6 REPLIES 6
BoskiPindol
Trainee
Message 1 of 7
Message 1 of 7

constant Bluescreens on my Medion Gaming Laptop

Hi,

some time ago I bought a Medion Erazer P6661 (MSN - 30019955) and it worked perfectly fine. After using it for some time - 2 weeks or sth - first bluescreen appeared. From this moment bluescreens appear sometimes and I have no idea why. I guess that no parts are broken inside, I tried updating drivers and BIOS from the official page but it didn't help. 

Bluescreens threads: 

- Kernel security check failure (most common one)

- irql not less or equal

- memory managment

I would appreciate any kind of help

Tags (3)
6 REPLIES 6
SlamRam
Retired
Message 2 of 7
Message 2 of 7

Hey @BoskiPindol, welcome to the community!

To be honest it's pretty hard to determine online exactly what the issue may be as there's so many possibilities.

A few questions/tips:

- Was there anything you had done to your laptop prior to the BSOD ocurring? 

- Do you have a restore point set before the blue screen ocurred? 

- I take it Windows is fully up to date?

- Do you happen to have any bloatware that came pre-installed with your laptop? I've seen issue's where certain applications seemed to have caused instability and therefore blue screen occuring. 

- Checking the dump files after the BSOD happens will help identify what it is that's causing it to happen, It would be best ot visit Microsofts website for more info on this.

- If you haven't done so already go to Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot > Blue Screen and run the troubleshooter. 

- It might also be worth checking the condition of your Physical RAM so you can rule this out as being the potential issue, try 'Windows Memory Disagnostics' and see what it comes back with. A long with this check the state of your HDD by running 'Chkdsk' in command prompt as Administrator, it'll scan and attempt to repair any issues. 

- An obvious and simple solution may be to just do a clean installation of Windows 10, this would then rule it out as being a Software issue should the problem persist. 

Let's us know!

Cheers!
SlamRam

MEDION AG - A Lenovo Company • • Community: community.medion.com

Please reward helpful posts with Kudos and mark solutions with Accept as solution.

daddle
Superuser
Message 3 of 7
Message 3 of 7

@BoskiPindol

Maybe it's more easy a problem to solve. Did you update your Bios lately? The Bios-Update in the Drivers repository are only to be used if your late/present Bios Version has been or is 2.12 or higher.

Otherwise you might get into trouble.

Regards, daddle

BoskiPindol
Trainee
Message 4 of 7
Message 4 of 7

Thanks for the quick reply!

So:

- there was nothing special I'd done prior to BSOD occuring

- I don't have a restore point (it seems like the problem is from the beginning when I started using this Laptop)

- Windows is fully up to date indeed

- 3D Vision Experience was the only program that came pre-installed with my Laptop

- I don't have any files in a minidump folder and could't find memory.dmp (changed some options, something should appear after the next BSOD, I will paste it here)

- Troubleshooting gave nothing (maybe after the next BSOD it will)

- CHKDSK :

C:\Windows\system32>chkdsk
The type of the file system is NTFS.

WARNING! /F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
242176 file records processed.
File verification completed.
12554 large file records processed.
0 bad file records processed.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
595 reparse records processed.
331212 index entries processed.
Index verification completed.
0 unindexed files scanned.
0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.
595 reparse records processed.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
Security descriptor verification completed.
44519 data files processed.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
41692936 USN bytes processed.
Usn Journal verification completed.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
No further action is required.

249427967 KB total disk space.
117069516 KB in 166126 files.
127484 KB in 44520 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
362079 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
131868888 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
62356991 total allocation units on disk.
32967222 allocation units available on disk.

- Windows Memory Diagnostics didn't return any problems

Clean installation of win10 might be a solution that I will take if there is nothing else to be done.

daddle, I updated the BIOS to version 222, but it was after the BSOD's appeared. I hoped it would have helped, but nothing changed at all. 

BoskiPindol
Trainee
Message 5 of 7
Message 5 of 7

@SlamRam@daddle forgot to tag You in my reply

SlamRam
Retired
Message 6 of 7
Message 6 of 7

@BoskiPindol

If you haven't done so already then It's probably best to back up your laptop and do a clean installation of Windows 10. This could resolve the issue you're having but if not, may rule it out as being software related issue. As the first BSOD occurred roughly 2 weeks into use and from reading your response, then I think this is the best starting point.

If you do decide to do a clean install and the issue persists, then contacting Medion support for further assistance would be a good idea as it could be a potential hardware issue. It would also be useful to share an image of the BSOD when it next occurs.

Let us know how you get on. 

Cheers!
SlamRam

MEDION AG - A Lenovo Company • • Community: community.medion.com

Please reward helpful posts with Kudos and mark solutions with Accept as solution.

BoskiPindol
Trainee
Message 7 of 7
Message 7 of 7

@SlamRam,

First of all, I don't know why, but memory.dmp or files in minidump are not creating after BSOD, I tried everything, going step by step from the official microsoft site but still nothing saves.

Meanwhile, I figured out that when I play games the BSOD's tend to happen more often. The GPU and CPU temperatures can reach 90 degrees which is really a high value (checked with GPU-z program), could it be our answer? Is there something wrong with cooling?

Also I took a look at the graphics, when I turn off the dedicated card (GeForce gtx 950m) and play a game with integrated card only, I get a nice gameplay, but when I play the game with only GeForce on, the games are unplayable with 1 FPS - is this supposed to work like that?

There were several BSOD's since I last replied, unfortunately I don't have any minidump files, but maybe this will help - sources of 2 BSOD's were USBXHCI.SYS and nvlddmkm.sys.

Best regards

6 REPLIES 6