ecv
New Voice
Bericht 1 van 5
6.580 Weergaven
Bericht 1 van 5
6.580 Weergaven

Second HDD on Erazer P6679

Hi,

I need to know if P6679 has a bay for a secondary HDD. I don't care if there's a dedicated lid or I have to disassemble the whole laptop. I just want to know if the room and plug are there.

Also is there room for 2.5" form factor for primary HDD and secondary in case, or is it M.2 only? I'm not positive about the differences between M.2 and SATA, or whether it's only form factor, physical differences in plug or even different communication standard. Although regarding the latter, M.2 is supposed to be backwards compatible with SATA if I understood it correctly, so I'm hoping I could use a physical adapter if there's enough room for 2.5" and only plugs differ.

What about the optical drive? is it SATA? I might replace it if there's no room for a second HDD.

All the specifications and manuals I could come by didn't specify any of this. A 256GB SSD is a neat thing to have for system partition, but it's just not enough, so I need this extra information to make an informed decision.

Thank you

1 GEACCEPTEERDE OPLOSSING

Geaccepteerd Solutions
Bodgekin
Mentor
Bericht 2 van 5
8.128 Weergaven
Bericht 2 van 5
8.128 Weergaven

Hi @ecv

P6679 is more of a model line then a specific notebook, when I google it I find different versions of it, some with both an SSD and a normal HDD. This would mean that there is room for at least 1 2,5" harddrive, and 1 SSD.

I'd expect the SSD to be M.2 (I've not been able to find any conclusive info on this though), M.2 is not interchangeable with a regular 2,5" SATA harddrive, it is different in physical dimensions and had a different connector. 

I think you'll have to ask the reseller of the exact model you are looking at if the SSD in it is a M.2 or a 2,5" SSD. If it is M.2, you will be able to mount a 2,5" harddrive. If it is a 2,5" SSD, then a hdd tray to replace the optical drive might be an option. 

Kind regards,
Bart

Bekijk de oplossing in de community in het oorspronkelijke bericht

4 ANTWOORDEN 4
Bodgekin
Mentor
Bericht 2 van 5
8.129 Weergaven
Bericht 2 van 5
8.129 Weergaven

Hi @ecv

P6679 is more of a model line then a specific notebook, when I google it I find different versions of it, some with both an SSD and a normal HDD. This would mean that there is room for at least 1 2,5" harddrive, and 1 SSD.

I'd expect the SSD to be M.2 (I've not been able to find any conclusive info on this though), M.2 is not interchangeable with a regular 2,5" SATA harddrive, it is different in physical dimensions and had a different connector. 

I think you'll have to ask the reseller of the exact model you are looking at if the SSD in it is a M.2 or a 2,5" SSD. If it is M.2, you will be able to mount a 2,5" harddrive. If it is a 2,5" SSD, then a hdd tray to replace the optical drive might be an option. 

Kind regards,
Bart
ecv
New Voice
Bericht 3 van 5
6.552 Weergaven
Bericht 3 van 5
6.552 Weergaven

Hey Bart,

I see, you're right! I was actually a bit confused as I also found different configurations of it before. I just googled and indeed there are some out there with both an SSD and HDD. So I concur it'd be kinda safe to assume it can take a second disk.

As for my specific model it only has a 256GB SSD and it's mentioned in the characteristics (not the specs) the laptop is using M.2 for higher speed. So I guess I'll just assume the SSD goes in the M.2 bay and I should have a bay for a normal 2.5" SATA HDD. The only confusing part is that in Medion shop, the 256GB SDD being sold for this model is tagged as SATA. But I guess I'll just try my luck and order the laptop along with a SATA HDD.

Thank you for your help, and I'll let you know how it went (and mark your answer as accepted solution).

Cheers,

Eneko

ecv
New Voice
Bericht 4 van 5
6.528 Weergaven
Bericht 4 van 5
6.528 Weergaven

Perfect! Indeed there's room for a 2.5" HDD and the 256GB SSD is M.2 (Wow, these things are tiny!). It was a bit hard to remove the plastic cover and I broke one tab in the process but since the warranty was voided the time I opened it, and after screwing it down it fits snugly, it's not much of a problem!

I've been a bit unlucky as I got a vertical line running across the screen, but I'll fix it eventually when I'm annoyed enough; just a matter of cleaning and fitting the screen flat wire tighter, I guess. Other than that the new 2Tb HDD addition will make this laptop greater than it already is, and I'm really loving it so far 🙂

The M.2 SSD is REALLY FAST and boots my Ubuntu in around 5s or so. Only thing I don't like is I can't seem to be able to disable the Intel graphics card and the BIOS menu seems a bit crippled. I like the fact it's not too obviously targeted at gamers with those red WASD keys I saw on other models. Took a while to figure out the touchpad actually has buttons (and I was annoyed when I thought it didn't) but I love the design. I'd definitely recommend it.

Thanks again, Bart.

Cheers,

Eneko

Bodgekin
Mentor
Bericht 5 van 5
6.523 Weergaven
Bericht 5 van 5
6.523 Weergaven

Hi Eneko, 

You're welcome man :), always happy to help :). 

Shame about the screen, but I'm happy you like the notebook :).

Kind regards,
Bart
4 ANTWOORDEN 4