Did you mean: 

Replacing motherboard on Medion Akoya E6435

6 REPLIES 6
Ezenia
Trainee
Message 1 of 7
Message 1 of 7

Replacing motherboard on Medion Akoya E6435

I have a Medion Akokya E6435 laptop that died a while ago. The mainboard has some fault that I cannot diagnose and fix. Ever since then I've been looking for a replacement mainboard to no avail. I would like to restore functionality to the laptop one day. It just needs a working mainboard.

I have recently came across a mainboard on eBay that is exactly the same with just one difference. It has a GPU whereas the board I have did not.

Both boards have the same model numbers. The faulty one is an E15S Rev 2.2 and the one I found on eBay is also an E15S Rev 2.2. I've looked at the board I have and the eBay one and cannot see a visual difference. They're identical, just one has no GPU (the pads are there, it's just empty) and one has a GPU with the power components surrounding it.

My question is: if I were to buy the mainboard on eBay and put it into the laptop, would it work fine? The only thing I should need is a new cooler due to the presence of the GPU. I'm not sure though, so thought I'd maybe ask here. Maybe someone will know.

6 REPLIES 6
daddle
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Message 2 of 7

@Ezenia 

It should work. But to be safe we need the MSN nunber of your laptop, and if possible the on the spare board printed Boardnumber, or the MSN number of the Laptop it comes from.

But all E6435  Laptops have a Pegatron Barebone Board  -->  PGT E15KUN E6435 Medion M.2 silver.

Some Intel Procs have integrated graphic adapter, others not.

Thats why we need the MSN of your Laptop.

Which Processor have ýou got?

Cheers, daddle

Ezenia
Trainee
Message 3 of 7
Message 3 of 7

30022856 is the laptop MSN number written on the bottom case of my laptop.

Here's what the motherboard looks like on my laptop:

chrome_LS2biNBP0g.png

This is the eBay listing: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144547821588

The processor on my laptop is the Intel core i5 7200U

On the other side of the board, it says "E15S MAIN BOARD REV 2.2" and that it's a PCB made in China. This is what the one on the eBay listing also says. The layout of the board seems exactly the same. The only difference I can see is that the eBay includes a dedicated GPU whereas my one doesn't.

daddle
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Message 4 of 7

@Ezenia 

Quite expensive. Does it come wth the CPU?

This CPU from the spare laptop has been a Intel Core i7-7500U 2.70GHz, this CPU also had a built in GPU, which is good and means there will be in Bios a  possibility to swap between graphic devices.

You should ask the seller if there is a special software supplement coming with it, to manage the graphics.This  mainboard is named --> BB Pegatron E15KGN P6677 MED M.2 anthrazit.  It has a NVIDIA GeForce 940MX Chip.

Cheers, daddle

Ezenia
Trainee
Message 5 of 7
Message 5 of 7

Considering the board on eBay comes from a supposedly functioning laptop (Medion Akoya P6677) and both the CPU and GPU are soldered to the motherboard, I'd say it definitely comes with both. You can see both the CPU and GPU soldered to the motherboard in the pictures on eBay.

All I am concerned about really is whether or not this board will work with my laptop screen. I know it'll fit inside the chassis as the board is exactly the same size and all the components are laid out in exactly the same spots (e.g. all connectors for fan, screen and even all the USB/Ethernet ports). What I don't know is if it'll actually work or if it'll cause damage to the motherboard. I am not sure how different the screen on the P6677 and E6435 are.

I will need another cooler as well as my one does not have the GPU mounting plate. Not only that, I won't have the screws for the GPU mounting plate. I only have the screws for the CPU one as the heatsink is still mounted to the motherboard. I am not sure what to do about that. I don't think you can buy spare screws for Medion laptops anywhere. 

The board is pricy, yes. However, I took a look on the Medion spare parts store and they seem to be selling the E6435 mainboard for a whopping 309 euros. That's way more expensive.

daddle
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Message 6 of 7

@Ezenia 

I wonder becaiuse the board should come with the appropriate heatsínk. Whatfor should the seller keep it? Only if he had  to replace the mainboard with a new one, it's worthwhile for him to keep it. Which makes me sceptical if the mainboard is really oK.

Who is the seller, ask him for the heatsink as well. Without this the mainboard is useless. Those things you don't get as a spare. Is the seller a professional, and gives a limited guarantee? 

And for the screen I can't give you any information. 

Cheers and much luck, daddle.

Ezenia
Trainee
Message 7 of 7
Message 7 of 7

The heatsink is sold separately by the seller. It looks like he/she took apart a Medion P6677 and is selling off the parts for money. They're charging £29.95 for the heatsink. I also see they are selling the screws for the P6677 for another £20. Those screws would probably be OK for the laptop I have. 

They offer 30 day warranty on their products and they have an "eBay premium service" label which seems to suggest they are a good seller. 

I am probably not going to purchase it. It's not something I absolutely need right now, I just want to eventually restore the laptop if I can. I've been frequently looking on eBay for the motherboard and most of the times the results come up empty. There's a few instances where I'll come across one, like now. Unfortunately, the sellers are still charging well over £100. That's still cheaper than what Medion want to sell it for, but over £100 is still more than I'd like to pay out if possible. I haven't come across a mainboard that comes from the E6435 itself yet, just other laptops that use the exact same board with some differences (e.g. a dedicated GPU).

The goal of this thread really is to determine if using the exact same motherboard that comes from a different model laptop (e.g. a Medion P6677) would work for the Medion E6435 that also uses the same motherboard (size and the way components are laid out are identical). That way If I come across something cheaper in the future, I can go ahead and make the purchase. It does look strongly likely that as long as the motherboard is an "E15S Main Board Rev 2.2" and  the CPU is an i5 7200U, it should be an acceptable replacement for the E6435.

6 REPLIES 6