Did you mean: 

Medion akoya E6214 hangs on boot screen for minutes before loading Windows

4 REPLIES 4
giannis852
New Voice
Message 1 of 5
Message 1 of 5

Medion akoya E6214 hangs on boot screen for minutes before loading Windows

I have recently bought this Medion Akoya E6214 on  Ebay and I've been having this issue on and off ever since. The notebbok turns on like it should, then hangs on the boot screen with the Medion logo for a couple of minutes and then normally continues to booting into Windows 7. Otherwise everything seems to be working fine. I wonder what the cause of this glitch could be and if it's possible to solve it.

Tags (3)
4 REPLIES 4
Bodgekin
Mentor
Message 2 of 5
Message 2 of 5

Hi @giannis852

This could be caused by a number of things. Do you have any external hardware connected? Perhaps an USB stick or a memory card? Try disconnecting them and see if it makes a difference. If that does not solve anything, try booting Windows into safemode by pressing F5 repeatedly during booting, and then press F8 for advanced options, and choose safemode. If this boots faster, then maybe there is some programm loading on boot causing a delay? 

Also I would perform a harddrive test, just to make sure that it is not about to fail. 

Kind regards,
Bart
giannis852
New Voice
Message 3 of 5
Message 3 of 5

Thank for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it.

Unfortunately, none of your suggestions seem to help solve this issue.

I have no external hardware connected. Windows safe mode did not help. I even took the plunge and tried a clean installation of Opensuse which has partly helped thinking that a clean installation of an OS could possibly iron out any incompatibilities. I am beginning to think it has something to do with the BIOS, which I have flashed to the latest update provided. Could it be that it takes the notebook extra time to boot as the BIOS is trying to figure out the hardware on the notebook?

Bodgekin
Mentor
Message 4 of 5
Message 4 of 5

Hi @giannis852

No problem man, I always like to try and help :). 

So if I understand correctly, booting to safemode as well as booting to a different OS also takes a long time. This would rule out a software issue indeed, so I'm afraid it must be hardware related. Did you run a harddrive test? Also try opening the DVD drive when the system appears to hang, if it immediately boots through, the DVD drive might be faulty. You could also run a memory test like memtest86 to see if maybe one of the RAM modules is not working correctly, though I would suspect that you would have more problems if this were the case. 

I've not heard of a BIOS itself causing these kinds of problems, but I cannot completely rule it out either. Have you tried setting the BIOS to standard values? Also you could try and discharge any residual current in the notebook by removing the charger and the battery, and then press the powerbutton for a few seconds. I got this advise when I contacted Medion a couple of years back and even though I was sceptical at first, it has solved a few weird issues for me ever since. 

Kind regards,
Bart
giannis852
New Voice
Message 5 of 5
Message 5 of 5

I've tried all your suggestions but nothing seems to help. I suppose it has something to do with the motherboard which I'm not sure I want to replace at this point. Oh well... Thank you though.. 🙂

@Bodgekin wrote:

Hi @giannis852

No problem man, I always like to try and help :). 

So if I understand correctly, booting to safemode as well as booting to a different OS also takes a long time. This would rule out a software issue indeed, so I'm afraid it must be hardware related. Did you run a harddrive test? Also try opening the DVD drive when the system appears to hang, if it immediately boots through, the DVD drive might be faulty. You could also run a memory test like memtest86 to see if maybe one of the RAM modules is not working correctly, though I would suspect that you would have more problems if this were the case. 

I've not heard of a BIOS itself causing these kinds of problems, but I cannot completely rule it out either. Have you tried setting the BIOS to standard values? Also you could try and discharge any residual current in the notebook by removing the charger and the battery, and then press the powerbutton for a few seconds. I got this advise when I contacted Medion a couple of years back and even though I was sceptical at first, it has solved a few weird issues for me ever since. 

4 REPLIES 4