14 ANTWORTEN 14
sagecelt
Trainee
Nachricht 1 von 15
7.853 Aufrufe
Nachricht 1 von 15
7.853 Aufrufe

Erazer P6681 - How to access Advanced set-up from cold start

I use EaseUs ToDo backup system for all my PCs and laptops.  To recover the whole system in the event of a crash I need to be able to boot from the CD/DVD drive.  

How can I access Advanced set-up from a cold start on this particular model please?   I can see how to access it if the laptop is running but that's not much use if the machine will not boot at all!   The options provided after pressing F11 do not include 'Boot from CD/DVD'.

Hope someone can help on this?

1 AKZEPTIERTE LÖSUNG

Akzeptierte Lösungen
daddle
Superuser
Nachricht 12 von 15
8.565 Aufrufe
Nachricht 12 von 15
8.565 Aufrufe

It doesn't boot, that is because it is not certified, if you did everything the right way making the CD, then it is so, that easus doesn't provide an UEFI compatible software.

But can't you start after disabling Secure Boot and enabling CSM Mode (or OS Win7 / Others or Legacy Mode ), than put the CD in Bios Boot in first place, or try to invoke the Bootmager by pressing FN + F10, FN + F8 may be FN + F12 after Start, and the cd shoul be shown.in the bootmanager.

Lösung in ursprünglichem Beitrag anzeigen

14 ANTWORTEN 14
Gehringer
Retired
Nachricht 2 von 15
6.318 Aufrufe
Nachricht 2 von 15
6.318 Aufrufe

Hi @sagecelt and welcome to the forum.

Could you please provide me the MSN number of your product?

It is an eight-digit number printed in the label underneath it.

Also, does the boot need to be from the CD/DVD or could it be from a pen drive stick?

Regards,

Gehringer

sagecelt
Trainee
Nachricht 3 von 15
6.309 Aufrufe
Nachricht 3 von 15
6.309 Aufrufe

Thanks for your swift response.  The MSN is 30022545.

To work with my established backup systems I need to be able to boot from CD/DVD drive.

Gehringer
Retired
Nachricht 4 von 15
6.304 Aufrufe
Nachricht 4 von 15
6.304 Aufrufe

Hi @sagecelt ,

have you tried to access the UEFI configuration in your system and change the booting options?

According to the user guide of your product, for doing so you should press the F2 key after turning your NB on.

it works only during a small period after the NB starts, so don't miss it!

Please let me know if it has solved your problem.

Regards,

Gehringer

sagecelt
Trainee
Nachricht 5 von 15
6.301 Aufrufe
Nachricht 5 von 15
6.301 Aufrufe

Yes, I tried that but it doesn't offer me the CD/DVD as a boot option.

The only way I've found of reaching the CD/DVD boot option is to select "Advanced set-up" before shutting down.   However, that is useless if the machine cannot boot into an O/S at all.

Ken

sagecelt
Trainee
Nachricht 6 von 15
6.277 Aufrufe
Nachricht 6 von 15
6.277 Aufrufe

It's gone awfully quiet.  

Anyone any further suggestions please?

This is of vital importance to me since I use the laptop for software development and I can't afford an irrecoverable crash which is why I have a sophisticated backup system.

All suggestions much appreciated.

daddle
Superuser
Nachricht 7 von 15
6.269 Aufrufe
Nachricht 7 von 15
6.269 Aufrufe

@sagecelt 

The Bios, in fact it is an UEFI, will see and list your CD / DVD Drive under the bootoptions only, if the medium is before starting the PC  inserted already.

Second it must be a Microsoft certified Medium, otherwise it will not boot with an UEFI-Bios.

May be you can disable Secure boot and after that activate CSM (Compatibility Support Mode) , could be named OS: Win7/ Others or Legacy mode as well.

You also could by frequently triggering the F 10 key shortly after switching on, (some laptops use F8 or F12) to get the isolated UEFI Bootmanager onscreen; there in opposite to being in the bios, all bootable devices are listed, the certified ones with the appendix UEFI.

But a non UEFI compatible medium will in spite of it's being listed not boot, if the CSM Mode is not activated.

If your Easus US backup program is a couple of years old, it most probably is not certified by Microsoft. So you should get an UEFI compatible newer version.

Regards, daddle

sagecelt
Trainee
Nachricht 8 von 15
6.249 Aufrufe
Nachricht 8 von 15
6.249 Aufrufe

Thanks very much daddle, quite a bit to take in.   Will go through it carefully tomorrow.

Ken

Tags (1)
sagecelt
Trainee
Nachricht 9 von 15
6.248 Aufrufe
Nachricht 9 von 15
6.248 Aufrufe

Oh, by the way, Easeus backup creates a WinPE boot disk.  Does that mean it's Microsoft Certified?

daddle
Superuser
Nachricht 10 von 15
6.244 Aufrufe
Nachricht 10 von 15
6.244 Aufrufe

@sagecelt 

No, it depends on the basic program. If this contains the certificate, yes. But because you cannot start from the WinPE CD, it won't have it.

Thats why I said you need a newer version.

daddle

14 ANTWORTEN 14