E4271 Laptop won't start if unplugged, turns off when unplugged

9 REPLIES 9
JCRM87
New Voice
Message 1 of 10
Message 1 of 10

E4271 Laptop won't start if unplugged, turns off when unplugged

Hi all;

I have a Medion E4271, it's a simple laptop that I use mostly for work but also for some light gaming. Recently I installed an SSD (it was very easy, M2 accessible without needing to open the whole thing) and reinstalled Windows 10 in it.

The problem I'm having is that the laptop won't start up if it's not plugged in. Once plugged, it starts and runs perfectly but if I unplug it, it will shut down immediately. Surprisingly, if I plug it back in and start it, everything continues pretty much as if nothing happened, just a soft restart.

After the Win10 reinstall, every driver seemed to install itself pretty quickly and easily, even the touch controls (the laptop has a touchscreen) but it seems like the battery manager is screwed somehow.

Things I've tried:

• Turning it off, holding Power for 30 seconds, starting it. Nothing changes.

• Updating battery drivers, Win10 finds nothing.

• Changing energy plans, everything seems fine, and even after changes the problem persists.

• Looking for new drivers on the manufacturer's website. Nothing for my model.

Things I haven't tried:

• Updating the BIOS: I have a bad experience from a different laptop and I'm a bit afraid. Could this fix it? Is there any foolproof way, app, or tutorial somewhere?

• Opening it up, fiddling with the battery. I'd rather avoid this. The battery is built in a solid metal casing. Installing the M2 was easy because of the dedicated port, but that's it.

NOTE: I really doubt this is a battery issue. The battery ran perfectly before the windows reinstalling. Also like I said, installing the M2 SSD was super easy. It has its own port so I doubt anything got damaged internally.

9 REPLIES 9
daddle
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Message 2 of 10

@JCRM87 

Hi, dit is zeker een probleem van de stroomverzorging. Als jij zonder 220 V- opstart, is de voltage net uitrijkend  voor het start, maar daarna breekt de spanning/stroomverzorging in elkaar. Of is het powerboord, de regelaar defect, en de batterij word niet of maar zwakjes geladen, of de batterij zelf is kaputt. Hij kan wel 100% (meestal maar ca 90%) lading aantonen, maar als belasting erop komt breekt de spanning in elkaar.

Maar dit kan ik uit de verte niet beoordelen.

Sorry, here in english

This is definitly a problem of the  battery. It might look fully loaden, but as the started PC drains energy, the accu collapses.

Or it is not correctly loaden, because of a powerboard failure, or the battery itself is defectiv, which is more likely to be. 

If there was a powerboard failure in contrary to a battery-defect, then mostly the laptop itself would not even  let you start up the Laptop. 

daddle

JCRM87
New Voice
Message 3 of 10
Message 3 of 10

Thank you for the reply, it really seems to be a power supply problem indeed. All I can find online and in forums is recommendations to uninstall battery drivers, open up the laptop and remove the battery, discharge it, re-attach and reinstall drivers... I don't really want to open the laptop but I can't find any other solution.

daddle
Superuser
Message 4 of 10
Message 4 of 10

@JCRM87 

Nope, there are no special battery drivers. 

To drain the residues of capacitors load by taking off power-supply and battery of the laptop, then pressing the power-buuton for 20 seconds is OK, but I am afraid this will not really help in your case. But trying is ok. How old is the battery, respectivly the Laptop?

You said you installed a M2 SSD? I guess, in the reserved special slot at the bottem?  Or was the notebook equipped with 64 GB eMMC only? So if Yes, did you delete the original Win Installation on the eMMC after Installing Win 10 on the new SSD?

JCRM87
New Voice
Message 5 of 10
Message 5 of 10

I've had the laptop for about a year now (same with the battery since it's built-in), so I really doubt this is a hardware issue. I think it must be connected with my reinstallation of Windows 10 but I'm really puzzled, I'm trying many different solutions besides opening it up but nothing works so far...

daddle
Superuser
Message 6 of 10
Message 6 of 10

@JCRM87 

I added a chapter to last my post, questioning about your new SSD.

How long did it work with the new Win-Installation without problems? I do not think the second Win installation could cause this, because loading and supply of energy is hardware coded.

daddle

JCRM87
New Voice
Message 7 of 10
Message 7 of 10

I think the problem started immediately afterwards. During the Win10 installation I kept it plugged to the power. Win10 and the SSD worked (and still work) perfectly so I just started installing my normal software: Chrome, MS Office, etc.

I only realized I had the power problem when I tried moving to a different desk. Immediately after unplugging it, the laptop shut down and didn't start. It only starts if it's plugged back and shuts down immediately if unplugged.

If I wasn't clear before, everything else seems to run perfectly fine!

Thanks for your time and your help.

daddle
Superuser
Message 8 of 10
Message 8 of 10

@JCRM87 

You did not answer my questions in Post:

@daddle wrote:

You said you installed a M2 SSD? I guess, in the reserved special slot at the bottom?  Or was the notebook equipped with 64 GB eMMC only? So if Yes, did you delete the original Win Installation on the eMMC after Installing Win 10 on the new SSD?.

There exist really no reason, why installing Win 10 should change or kills something in the way, the notebook handles power supply and charging; as I said, that is hardware coded.

One more thing could have happened: unfortunately your NB could have got an ESD shock while installing the SSD. Or. did the little fixing screw fell into the housing?

The only other thing I could think of marginally is that your old Win 10 Installation on the   eMMC (if you have one at all) could interfere with Windows powerschemes; but it never should prevent charging of the battery at all.

daddle

JCRM87
New Voice
Message 9 of 10
Message 9 of 10

Sorry, for some reason I didn't see that part!

You are right: I installed the M2 SSD in the special slot, only 2 screws and 1 lid. My notebook came with a 50gb hard drive (I'm not sure if it's a normal HDD or eMMC).

I installed Win10 on the M2 SSD and formated the original HDD/eMMC.

Now that you mention it, during the physical installation of the M2 SSD a screw indeed almost fell behind it, but it didn't go far so I was able to pick it up carefully with pliers. It was right besides the M2 SSD so it couldn't touch anything beyond that, could it still have caused an ESD shock?

Right now, after using Medion's diagnostic tool, I'm trying a system reset/Win10 reset (the option without removing my files). I'm really desperate at this point but I'd still rather not open the whole laptop.

daddle
Superuser
Message 10 of 10
Message 10 of 10

@JCRM87 

No, it could have been a shortage. But in my E3222, a 13 " NB, otherwise the same MB, the gap between the compartment an the Mainboard is very small, I don't know what it looks like in yours. But the screw is very tiny, I know.

A ESD ist the electrostatic discharge coming from your body and contacted surroundings.

If you had about 50 GB empty, the built in disk definitely is an eMMC with  an capacity of 64 GB brutto. Win 10 takes about 20 GB.

daddle

9 REPLIES 9