Bios: RomId not compatible / revert back to recovery

13 REPLIES 13
Terminator-X
Trainee
Message 1 of 14
Message 1 of 14

Bios: RomId not compatible / revert back to recovery

Model: MD88157 (P7639), MSN30018556
Real issue: My Geforce 940M does not work. Only intel video. Windows sees a "3d video controller", but cannot install drivers. The Hardware ID of the device confirms it is the Geforce
What happened: My Medion did not start. Was sent to Medion for repair. Worked upon return, but I found out later that Geforce did not work.
What did I do sofar: several versions of the Nvidia drivers from Medion site and Nvidia. Compatible hardware not found. Inserted the Hardware ID, but failed later on. Check this on Win7, Win10 and Linux. All failed.
Medion helpdesk: tried to revert to Medion Recovery from Harddisk. But Power Recover says: Can only be run on a Medion system (????). Helpdesk sent me a new recovery DVD. System tries to run DVD, but starts windows after 20 seconds (same no-Medion error??). Run Power Recover from DVD, same no-Medion error. Helpdesk asks me to press F11 upon boot, nothing happens.
Where am I now: Maybe something wrong with the bios? Maybe due to repair? Downloaded latest Bios for my MSN30018556: WinD17DMD703.exe when extracted. Upon install as administrator under Win10 it quits. Was able to capture the screen just before quit with the burst camera mode from my phone.

Question:
1- How can I get the right BIOS to check if the Geforce still fails?
2- How can I revert to Recovery to check if Geforce fails and make laptop ready for return?

13 REPLIES 13
daddle
Superuser
Message 11 of 14
Message 11 of 14

@Terminator-X

No, I am just another user of this forum.

Just  one more thing, you editet your post 1 after I answered in post 2.

Off course you can do this, to correct grammar, but you changed the content. This you should do underneath your text and  start a new "chapter" beginning with 'Edit::`

Otherwise the answer to the former post might look funny; so here you wrote your MSN-Number, but gave the Bios-Number instead, and I said your MSN is faulty.

Now you corrected the content without marking it 'edited', and  the nect post reflects about something which isn't there anymore. You see what I mean?

About your recovery. It could be that in your drive D:\ or E:\ in the folder Tools:\ you find the App PowerRecover. Sometimes it helps to reinstall this App and you might be able to start Power Recover by this app. But if you got a different board with an unchanged bootloader on drive C:\ (is it still the original drive with unchanged partition-layout?), you will not be able to boot in the OEM recovery-partition. Just try.it. Your laptop runs on Win 8 or 10, does it?

daddle

Terminator-X
Trainee
Message 12 of 14
Message 12 of 14

Hi @daddle,

Sorry, I wanted the new persons to read the right content, but I understand it now, this makes the replies strange.

I am on a differend HDD (SSD) now. I still have the original one, but gave the same issues. Yes the Recovery partition is still on that one, although other partitions have been made, and I think installing Win 10 and revering to 7 (to check if Geforce worked, drives could be installed)  might have changed MBR of so? I also tried pressing F11 in bios 
& getting Powerrecovery to work with that HDD inserted, but no result.

I think the option remaining is to check the REV of the board and try to override the Bios Flash in dos with the /x command.

Terminator-X
Trainee
Message 13 of 14
Message 13 of 14

Well, flashed the bios with /x ,and now nothing hapens on startup. Only fan, CD and Wifi led. NO screen, no bios with F2

I think Medion did something in the repair, maybe switched by board. I see that the labels have torn away a little bit, so I think they may have put my old labels on the new laptop.

Anyway to check the board and REV?

Anyway to (re)flash a bios

daddle
Superuser
Message 14 of 14
Message 14 of 14

@Terminator-X

Sorry to hear. You will have to check with Medion Support and repair-number what happened to your mainboard then.

Alternative solution is to send your PC for repair to Medion. Because if the mainboard doesn't allow to boot anymore, you can not do anything anymore.

Regards, daddle

13 REPLIES 13