Akoya P6667 won't turn on after having installed SSD in vacant M.2 slot

5 REPLIES 5
Abominable
Beginner
Message 1 of 6
Message 1 of 6

Akoya P6667 won't turn on after having installed SSD in vacant M.2 slot

Hey guys,

My Medion Akoya P6667 has a vacant M.2 slot and i decided that i wanted to upgrade my laptop with a 2280 SSD (this one specifically: WD Black SN750 500GB). My laptop did not start after having Installed the SSD. Having read more into the keying of such SSD's i'm afraid that the vacant slot is a B-key, and the SSD i bought is an M-key. i've lost the manual since i bought my laptop ~4 years ago so i cannot confirm, and the crucial memory checker website doesn't provide accurate information (now i come to think of it, I did have to flip over the SSD to it's non-branded side) and it had some difficulty going in the socket). My laptop turned on again like nothing happened once i removed the SSD from the socket. The problem is now that I  dont know which interface my laptop's motherboard uses, and i cant confirm since i've lost the manual. Can someone confirm that the interface is NVME?

Thanks,

Abonimal.

5 REPLIES 5
Fishtown
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Message 2 of 6

Hi @Abominable and welcome

user manual find you here:

https://www.medion.com/de/service/product-detail/30021741

Please state your MSN number.

Some P6667 with SSD were sold but there were the SSD M.2 (2280) SATA and no PCIe

see here under specification

https://www.medion.com/de/service/product-detail/30020941

bye Fishtown

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alles was man lange genug, konsequent mit System durchführt, führt zwangsläufig zum Erfolg.
Abominable
Beginner
Message 3 of 6
Message 3 of 6

Hey @Fishtown,

The MSN would be 30020936. I've got the version with the SSHD, basically a HDD with 6gb of cache.

i've looked through the English version of the manuals provided and none of them mentioned anything about the vacant M.2 slot. I also found the section on inserting RAM (for some reason the RAM bracket is very hard to move around) to be rather lackluster. do you know anyone who did make something out of the vacant M.2 slot situation? Also, do you know how to work the RAM slot bracket? it seems to be held in place by a staple shaped steel bracket. Sorry for the verbose answer, I know i'm being a handful right now!

Thank you very much for your previous answer!

Kind regards,

Abominable

Datwozza
Apprentice
Message 4 of 6
Message 4 of 6

Have you tried changing changing what drive it boots to in the Bios?

It might be trying to boot into the M2 drive rather then windows drive.

If this dont work take your windows drive out, and try to install a fresh windows on the new M2 to see if its faulty or not.

Also try booting into your windows drive via the boot menu key not sure wich one it is maybe f2.

daddle
Superuser
Message 5 of 6
Message 5 of 6

@Abominable 

@Abominable  schrieb:

1. Having read more into the keying of such SSD's i'm afraid that the vacant slot is a B-key, and the SSD i bought is an M-key.  (now i come to think of it,

2. I did have to flip over the SSD to it's non-branded side) and it had some difficulty going in the socket). 3.The problem is now that I  dont know which interface my laptop's motherboard uses, and i cant confirm since i've lost the manual. Can someone confirm that the interface is NVME?

Hi.

Yes it's right, your WD Black SN750 is a PCIe SSD with a M-Key.(right side of the contact strip of the SSD if you look on it printed side upwards.

If you look along the mounting place into the socket on the board, there must be the gap in the socket connector on the right side also.

M-Key_SSD.PNG

So looking on the edge connector of the SSD face upwards, if the gap (B-Key) is left, it's mostly for a SATA M2 SSD socket, if there are two keys, left and right (B+M), it is also mostly a SATA M2 SSD.

If it is solely a key on the right side (M-Key), as the WD Black SN750, it's most of the time a PCIe SSD.

So this position of the M-key must match the key on the right side in the socket connector

2. If you flip the SSD over and try to insert it in the socket, you might damage the connector in the socket. Because the M2 SSDs connection edge are asymmetrically built; left side the key is positioned on the sixth contact, on the right side it is in the range of the fifth.

3. Your PC is an older model from the first series, they mainly were equipped only with SATA HDDs and SSDs. No model had a M2 SSD built in. So I do not know if the built in M2 socket ist functional at all.

Later models were equipped with a M2 PCIe SSD built in a  M2 Socket (M-Key) with PCIe functionality.

So to check if your PC MSN 30020936 has already M2 functionality and if, with SATA or PCIe protocol, we must ask a moderator, eg @Major_ToM .

Would you be so kind to check this?

So if your WD Black SN 750 matches your socket in the way I described above, it should mechanically fit, and  if the socket is provided for PCIe SSDs protocol your PCIe SSD should be seen at least in the UEFI.

But in Windows you might first have to take a look into diskmanagement to initialize the M2 SSD; and assign a drive letter, before it can be seen in Explorer.

For more Info --> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.2

Cheers, daddle

Major_ToM
Professor
Message 6 of 6
Message 6 of 6

Hi @Abominable 

@daddle  schrieb:

@Abominable 

@Abominable  schrieb:

So to check if your PC MSN 30020936 has already M2 functionality and if, with SATA or PCIe protocol, we must ask a moderator, eg @Major_ToM .

Would you be so kind to check this?

Cheers, daddle

Thanks, this slot is M.2 2280 SATA NGFF without PCIe.

Btw maybe you can also check if you already obtain the recent Bios version, which should be 2.22

Major ToM

MEDION. LÄUFT BEI MIR.
• Web: www.medion.de • Community: community.medion.com • Facebook: MEDIONDeutschland • Instagram: @medion.de

Bitte belohne hilfreiche Antworten mit Kudos und markiere die beste Antwort/Lösung mit Als Lösung akzeptieren.
5 REPLIES 5