Did you mean: 

P7651 cooling management (again)...

1 REPLY 1
Slartibardfast
Apprentice
Message 1 of 2
Message 1 of 2

P7651 cooling management (again)...

Why does the Fan (sometimes) run at full blast even when the CPU is relatively cool?  It can be as low as 25 degrees (C) according to CoreTemp, with the Fan running fast.  For example, the system has been running in the 25 ~ 30 C region for over 20 minutes with the Fan running fast.  The system is not doing any serious work.

There are of course Background Tasks going on, but the CPU is registering 1 ~ 2% utilisation which is not much, and I wouldn't expect that to kick off increased Fan operation.  Disk and GPU Activity barely Register at all.

As I understand it, Fan control is built in to the Firmware with no User intervention available.

It is hard to believe that this can be by design (i.e. those that created the design and production intended this behaviour).  If there is a rationale I would be interested to know what it is.

This behaviour is not consistent in that it does not always run cool with the Fan running fast.  So why does it when it does? It happens often enough to be noticable.  It would make more sense if it always did it or always did not?

Now, we might say what's the problem?  It's running cool so be thankful.  However, when something performs in ways it shouldn't there is an issue, and as a Nerd I want to know what it is.  One for the boffins?

And going back to my previous Post on temperature, I can monitor in excess of 90 degrees C when the system is working hard, which I think is more than it should be, even taking into account the robustness of Intel CPUs...

1 REPLY 1
Phantom
Contributor
Message 2 of 2
Message 2 of 2

CoreTemp isn't the most reliable monitoring program, it doesn't work completely accurate with all CPU. It might be that short workloads may stress the CPU and for that short peroid of time the fans ramp up to adjust to the load, which CoreTemp probably can't log fast or accurate enough. Also since you mentioned that CPU temperatures exceed 90°C, the TIM probably has turned worse sooner than expected and a re-paste, ideally of both CPU and GPU will help with general temperatures and prevent temperature spikes, thus enabling the fans to spin at a lower RPM throughout all workloads. I personally recommend using Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, as it's simply the best thermal paste (not including liquid metal for obvious reasons) on the market since it's debut. Medion notebook are quite user-friendly to maintain (at least in my experience), so the process should be faily easy if done carefully.

EDIT: Are you using the latest 2.12 BIOS version? If not, I recommend updating it. It's worth upgrading it alone for the CPU microcode updates and although the changelog doesn't specifically state it, a newer BIOS version might include a tweaked fan profile. Here's the link to that BIOS. I would still recommend re-pasting as this will help with both CPU and GPU temperatures significantly.

1 REPLY 1