Did you mean: 

P6661 freezing

1 REPLY 1
davek1979
Newcomer
Message 1 of 2
Message 1 of 2

P6661 freezing

Hi, I've bought a P6661 on 27th December 2016. For about 2 months, all was ok, then in early March I started getting freezes when the laptop was running on battery. The computer would simply freeze, the screen would stay on. System would be halted and completely unresponsive. After hard restart I look into Event Viewer and find 4 entries for "The speed of processor X in group Y is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report." respective to all 4 cores.

This freeze is random and occurs for example when working with 3DS Max or within Unreal Engine. It never happens when on battery or when simply on without any graphical load. Today for example I could play 30 mins of Witcher 3 but within 2 mins of Unreal Engine, the freeze would occur.

I'm running latest NVIDIA drivers, I've updated BIOS to the 19.10.2016 version too. No change.

Would you be able to give me some advice?

Tags (2)
1 REPLY 1
Bodgekin
Mentor
Message 2 of 2
Message 2 of 2

Hi @davek1979

Since there are a lot of versions of the P6661, what is the MD or the MSN number of yours?

You said it only happens when you use the notebook on battery, and later on you say it never happens when using the battery, I assume the last one should be the charger? 

Does it only happen below a certain battery percentage? I know of some notebooks that throttle below 30% to protect the battery. Perhaps the unreal engine and 3ds max somehow cant handle this throttling?

Kind regards,
Bart
1 REPLY 1