cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medion ERAZER P6679: How to update BIOS correctly?

SOLVED
14 REPLIES 14
SaxonCrusader
New Voice
Message 1 of 15
Message 1 of 15

Medion ERAZER P6679: How to update BIOS correctly?

Hi folks. I recently bought a Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 SSD for my laptop as I wanted to speed up the boot time of my OS and opening time of programmes. After installing it my laptop would not power on at all, the power button will light up but would cut out almost instantly and nothing would turn on. At the same time I had also installed a new HDD, so I checked to see what the problem was by removing the SSD and after doing so my laptop would turn on again without problems.

After doing some research I came across info that even if the motherboard supports certain hardware the BIOS may still need to be updated in order for that hardware to work properly. So I'm hoping that updating to a newer version of the BIOS will solve my issue with the SSD causing my laptop to stop turning on when installed.

I've downloaded the latest version of the BIOS that was available through the driver section @ https://www.medion.com/gb/service/start/_product.php?msn=30023186&gid=1 (update version 2.11) appropriate for my specific laptop. My main issues are that I'm unable to find any tutorial as to how to apply the update correctly to my specific laptop and I don't want to follow tutorials for similar models in case something goes wrong due to any differences and my system gets bricked; and to further complicate things I run Manjaro Linux instead of Windows, and I also can't find a tutorial on how to apply this update through Linux either.

So is there anyone who's updated the BIOS successfully on their ERAZER P6679 and who knows how to apply the update correctly while running Linux as their OS? Or if there's no one with such experience then is there a tutorial to follow using Windows instead?

I appreciate the help and I look forward to solving this issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
aaronzo83
New Voice
Message 9 of 15
Message 9 of 15

@SaxonCrusader response from the Medion support...

Thank you for contacting us.

The error is relatively simple, the current firmware version cannot be used as a base for upgrading for some reason. This could mean any number of things though and exactly I don't know.
It's not something you easily will be able to solve yourself though, likely the unit would need service in such cases for a proper firmware flash.

In regards to the SSD, what type of M.2 SSD is this? If nvme SSD, then please note none of our devices currently support that.
If it isn't and you have the option of testing this in another PC, then I would advise you to do so.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
aaronzo83
New Voice
Message 2 of 15
Message 2 of 15

Hello,

i'm having the exact same issue! same laptop but i'm trying with Western Digital WD Black  NVMe SSD 500 GB and have Windows installed. 

please let me know if you manage to resolve your issu, thanks 

Aaron 

daddle
Superuser
Message 3 of 15
Message 3 of 15

@SaxonCrusader

If you go again to DriverSection, and first click on "Details", therein after scrolling down you will find the propriet way to install the Bios in Windows. If you go yourself tio Driver-Section - > Bios-Update-> Details  you get the same content but a better layout.

I do not think you will get a bios-bin combined with executables to do a bios-upgrade in Linux.

Regards, daddle

SaxonCrusader
New Voice
Message 4 of 15
Message 4 of 15

Hi @daddle
Thanks for replying to my post and ruling out Linux as an option. I'll try getting it working on Windows and I'll follow the link you provided. I'll return when I have a result and mark the post as solved if I'm successful.
SaxonCrusader
New Voice
Message 5 of 15
Message 5 of 15

Hi again.
So I just installed Windows on a spare HDD I had and followed the advice shown in the link. As I start the programme and after it resets my laptop, before it begins the update I get a message in a blue box reading...

"InsydeH20 - Secure Flash
Error : Invalid firmware image ! ! !
Please press any key to reset the system . . . . . ."

Any idea what the problem could be?
aaronzo83
New Voice
Message 6 of 15
Message 6 of 15

Yes i have same issue. I have tried turning off secure boot but still cant seem to update it. 

awaiting to hear back from Medion support as well. 

bios.jpg

daddle
Superuser
Message 7 of 15
Message 7 of 15

@SaxonCrusader

I am sorry to hear this; I do think now you have to ask an official Medion Moderator. @Luke@ or@SlamRam

Just one question, as I do not have this PC, could it be that there is a setting in the UEFI (Bios) to disable the ability to flash (write protection)?

Regards, daddle

SaxonCrusader
New Voice
Message 8 of 15
Message 8 of 15

@daddle

There's no such option in the bios. What other options are worth looking into to check to see if it helps? My current BIOS is version 2.07 (or 207 as it appears in the BIOS menu itself) in case that helps at all.
aaronzo83
New Voice
Message 9 of 15
Message 9 of 15

@SaxonCrusader response from the Medion support...

Thank you for contacting us.

The error is relatively simple, the current firmware version cannot be used as a base for upgrading for some reason. This could mean any number of things though and exactly I don't know.
It's not something you easily will be able to solve yourself though, likely the unit would need service in such cases for a proper firmware flash.

In regards to the SSD, what type of M.2 SSD is this? If nvme SSD, then please note none of our devices currently support that.
If it isn't and you have the option of testing this in another PC, then I would advise you to do so.

SaxonCrusader
New Voice
Message 10 of 15
Message 10 of 15

@aaronzo83
Thanks for the info. My SSD is NVMe so that'll mean I'll have to return it and purchase a new one. I'll mark this post as solved as my question has effectively been answered now, but I'll continue with updates if I manage to find a suitable SSD to use. Hopefully I'll get back in the next couple of days or so.
14 REPLIES 14