3.172 Weergaven
Bericht 1 van 6
3.172 Weergaven

MEDION ERAZER P6689 support NVme?

Hi,

I have a

MEDION ERAZER P6689 (MD 60969) UK MSN: 3002 3991

NB BB PEGATRON E15KRR P6689 Erazer M.2 silc.bk*

The laptop come with an M2 drive 128Gb for OS. My question is if I can replace the M2 drive with an NVMe-M2 drive (this one to be more precise])

Thank you.

1 GEACCEPTEERDE OPLOSSING

Geaccepteerd Solutions
daddle
Superuser
Bericht 6 van 6
3.137 Weergaven
Bericht 6 van 6
3.137 Weergaven

@sweetpoison 

I am sorry but I feel a bit fed up. M Key could support NVMe, but not on your mainboard. There it supports the SATA protocol. I did explain why. 

It is not my fault that's a bit intricated matter.

And you do not have to ask in a different way. I did understand your question perfectly well. 

daddle

Bekijk de oplossing in de community in het oorspronkelijke bericht

5 ANTWOORDEN 5
daddle
Superuser
Bericht 2 van 6
3.167 Weergaven
Bericht 2 van 6
3.167 Weergaven

@sweetpoison 

@sweetpoison  schrieb:

The laptop come with an M2 drive 128Gb for OS. My question is if I can replace the M2 drive with an NVMe-M2 drive 

No, sorry, you can not replace a SATA M2 SSD with a NVMe. It's a different interface and protocol.

The builtin M2 Slot has a SATA-Interface.

daddle

sweetpoison
Mentor
Bericht 3 van 6
3.153 Weergaven
Bericht 3 van 6
3.153 Weergaven

Thanks for reply daddle.

The all point for this thread was to find out if the MB can handle NVMe protocol since the socket is an M key lock and not an MB which restrict the use for SATA Only. 

I didn't found any technical information about MB regarding the use of M2 slot hence the thread.

https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-65e3f3e74f620b9b115bfa2bd30767a8-c

If you know for sure that the MB can't handle NVMe protocol I will accept your reply as solution and hope that will help more people looking for answers. 

On another hand if you know a way how to get information about MB regarding the M2 use other than buy/test/return (it's too painful to do that 😁 ) it will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

daddle
Superuser
Bericht 4 van 6
3.146 Weergaven
Bericht 4 van 6
3.146 Weergaven

@sweetpoison 

The M- or B- Key is a mechanical key. It depends which protocol is implemented. If in your PC a SATA SSD is built into a M2-Port, this port is dedicated to SATA protocol. Both isn:t possible: or SATA or NVMe. Some more Information

--> https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.2

daddle

sweetpoison
Mentor
Bericht 5 van 6
3.141 Weergaven
Bericht 5 van 6
3.141 Weergaven

This makes even more confusing so let me ask in a different way:

I have a laptop with a m2 socket  (M key notch  only). What M2 drive can I use since it fits both (not in same time of course) SATA and NVMe? 

So which one to use? NVMe or SATA?

Should I go for "if it fits will work"?

Thanks.

daddle
Superuser
Bericht 6 van 6
3.138 Weergaven
Bericht 6 van 6
3.138 Weergaven

@sweetpoison 

I am sorry but I feel a bit fed up. M Key could support NVMe, but not on your mainboard. There it supports the SATA protocol. I did explain why. 

It is not my fault that's a bit intricated matter.

And you do not have to ask in a different way. I did understand your question perfectly well. 

daddle

5 ANTWOORDEN 5