SOLVED
7 REPLIES 7
FGS
Apprentice
Message 1 of 8
Message 1 of 8

Erazer X7847 MD60475

Hi;

I bought a MEDION Erazer MD60475, and I could see that it has two m2 slots; they only have one ID key, and therefore I understand that they support NVMe PCIe x4. On the other hand, I could see in the BIOS that it is possible to choice between AHCI and RAID; So, please, could someone confirm me if:

- Really both m2 slots are support NVMe PCIe x4?

- BIOS suppot RAID 0 operation if I install 2 SSD NVMe PCIe x4?

Thank you very much in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
FGS
Apprentice
Message 7 of 8
Message 7 of 8

At the begining I also understood the same, but when I tried to install windows 10 Pro in the NMVe SSD, I found that such SSD disk could not be seen from windows, and I had to go back again..... I think that it has something to do with the fact that the NMVe SSD disk only can be seen under the "OffBoard NMVe Controller Configuration", but I am not sure at all.

Regards,

FGS

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
daddle
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Message 2 of 8

@FGS

As far as I know the slots have a M2 B/M key for Sata 6 Gb/s; may be one M2 Slot is 

for NVMe-SSDs. But you could check your builtin SSD, which is definitiv a Sata-disk.

daddle

Check this similar but more sophisticated model X7849, which also is equipped with a M2 Sata-disk.

-> https://www.notebookcheck.com/Test-Medion-Erazer-X7849-MD-60292-Laptop.174545.0.html

FGS
Apprentice
Message 3 of 8
Message 3 of 8

I answer myself:

Erazer X7847 MD60475 has two m2 sockets; one of them can be used to install NVMe SSD, but when NVMe SSD is installed, it is working in "OffBoard" mode, and I could not use it as boot disk. Therefore, I am using two SATA SSD disk configured as RAID0, but the gain in performance is not too amazing... Final read and write speeds are about 1.6 times those of a single disk. If I am not doing something wrong, it is a pity that this notebook cannot support two NVMe SSD disk in both sockets to be used as boot disks.

I hope this information could be useful for someone else.

Regards,

@FGS

daddle
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Message 4 of 8

@FGS

I do think I gave you a correct answer in Post 2.  What should the "Off Board mode" be?

I don´t think there is a preference in boot order. Most probably the presence of the first SSD with a bootloader occupied with the first installations bootmanager might have this effect and stops booting from the secondarily installed system on the NVMe-M2.

Which is rather an UEFI and Win 10-Problem instead.

And a SSD raid-system willl never gain as much performance as with conventional harddisks. But the risk of data loss and difficulties to restore such a raid after a failure is in my opinion quite high.

daddle

FGS
Apprentice
Message 5 of 8
Message 5 of 8

Hi again;

I do not think so. When I insert the NMVe SSD in m2 socket nº 1 and SATA SSD (with the OS) in m2 socket nº 2, BIOS could see the NMVe SSD and the SATA SSD with no problem, but when I insert the NVMe in m2 socket nº 2 and the SATA SSD with the OS in m2 socket nº 1, in the BIOS does not appear the NMVe SSD disk.

On the other hand, the NMVe SSD only could be seen under the "OffBoard NMVe Controller Configuration", what I really do not know very well what it is. By the way: when RAID mode is selected, the "OffBoard NMVe Controller Configuration" option disappears from the BIOS.

¿Some one could explain me what is "OffBoard NMVe Controller Configuration" option, and what it is for?

Regards.

daddle
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Message 6 of 8

@FGS

The M2 slots are not interchangable, thats why you can only see one M2 disk if you swap the M2 ssds.

And if you see both in the UEFI ( it's not callled a Bios anymore), only the primary bootmanager from the first installation will be bootable.

daddle

FGS
Apprentice
Message 7 of 8
Message 7 of 8

At the begining I also understood the same, but when I tried to install windows 10 Pro in the NMVe SSD, I found that such SSD disk could not be seen from windows, and I had to go back again..... I think that it has something to do with the fact that the NMVe SSD disk only can be seen under the "OffBoard NMVe Controller Configuration", but I am not sure at all.

Regards,

FGS

30lucas30
Trainee
Message 8 of 8
Message 8 of 8

Had a similar troubles setting up mine, I fitted the hardware into m.2 NFFP3 or something like that, I have a post already that I cured. May help you.

https://community.medion.com/t5/ERAZER-Gaming/X5361-G-support-samsung-970evo-plus/m-p/76966#M199

7 REPLIES 7