4 ANTWOORDEN 4
Slartibardfast
Apprentice
Bericht 1 van 5
6.236 Weergaven
Bericht 1 van 5
6.236 Weergaven

Advice on Cooling : P7651

Just bought the P7651 and overall pleased so far.  Not bought as a gaming machine per se, more for the 17.3" display, but wanted something that could cope with more demanding games and applications, and a fast general purpose performance.  For the price I think it's pretty good bang for buck value.  I upped the RAM to 16GB and swapped the 128GB M.2 SSD for a 512GB.  Apart from that it's out of the box stock.

That's the niceties out of the way, so I am looking for suggestions (if any) on the cooling.  Running some quick and dirty tests using Unigine Benchmark to give it some stress, and monitoring with Core Temp, I get these:

Normal idling: +/- 45 (C) after the system has been running for a while and the Fan has stopped or running slow.

If the fan is running harder (after heavy load) I have seen the temp down to 30.  Briefly.

Running Unigine Windowed @ 1600 x 900 on High Setting:

CPU (i5-8250U): Peaked at 90 but lingers in the 80 ~ 85 region..

GPU (GTX 1050 4GB): Peaks at 85 and stays in the 80 ~ 85 region.

As long as they do not exceed these I am not overly concerned, but I would certainly like to bring the Peak Temps down if possible.

So my questions are:

* Are these results 'normal' or are they concerning?

* What Fan control if any is available on this system?

I would quite happily put up with more ambient Fan noise if it helped to reduce the Temps, but I suspect that there is probably nothing I can do at the top end.  If the Fans are already running flat out, then they can't go any faster!  Running Civ 6 1920 x 1080 DX12 seems to wind up the Fan the most of the things I run.

My name is not important...

Senem Severiorum

1 GEACCEPTEERDE OPLOSSING

Geaccepteerd Solutions
TPFLegionaire
Retired
Bericht 2 van 5
6.202 Weergaven
Bericht 2 van 5
6.202 Weergaven

Hi @Slartibardfast 

Welcome to the forums!
We are glad to hear you are satisfied with your purchase and that with your upgrades you have indeed turned it into a mighty beast!

As far as the reported temperatures and fan behavior are concerned , everything you reported seem nominal.
As a former Intel tech support person I can tell you that Intel processors can be run at seemingly high temperatures with no side effects , many throtling safegards are built in .
Nonetheless, should you wish to increase the cooling or manage the fans, to reduce noise under load for example,  the use of after market fan management software may provide you with what you seek.
I am not in a position to recomend any particular solutions but a look on a search engine should point you in the right direction.

Let me know if there is anything else we can do for you.

Cheers!
TPFLegionaire

MEDION AG - A Lenovo Company • • Community: community.medion.com

Please reward helpful posts with Kudos and mark solutions with Accept as solution.

Bekijk de oplossing in de community in het oorspronkelijke bericht

4 ANTWOORDEN 4
TPFLegionaire
Retired
Bericht 2 van 5
6.203 Weergaven
Bericht 2 van 5
6.203 Weergaven

Hi @Slartibardfast 

Welcome to the forums!
We are glad to hear you are satisfied with your purchase and that with your upgrades you have indeed turned it into a mighty beast!

As far as the reported temperatures and fan behavior are concerned , everything you reported seem nominal.
As a former Intel tech support person I can tell you that Intel processors can be run at seemingly high temperatures with no side effects , many throtling safegards are built in .
Nonetheless, should you wish to increase the cooling or manage the fans, to reduce noise under load for example,  the use of after market fan management software may provide you with what you seek.
I am not in a position to recomend any particular solutions but a look on a search engine should point you in the right direction.

Let me know if there is anything else we can do for you.

Cheers!
TPFLegionaire

Please reward helpful posts with Kudos and mark solutions with Accept as solution.

Slartibardfast
Apprentice
Bericht 3 van 5
6.195 Weergaven
Bericht 3 van 5
6.195 Weergaven

Thank you for your response @TPFLegionaire .  I am well satisfied with this System.  Does everything I want it to without complaining.

I understand about the tolerance of Intel CPU's.  Ideally I would like to reduce the top end a bit so the range of temps is a bit smaller.  Less stress on the Solid State.  But if it never goes over those results, I am reasonably comfortable with it.  I also do not object to elevated fan noise if it is needed to keep the System moderated under heavy loads.  Although I do run some games on it, it is not used primarily for that, so most of the time it just ticks over nicely!

I have looked into software fan control, and there doesn't seem to be a great deal available for which I can find some decent review for except for Speed Fan.  It is not a user friendly application, but I am prepared to persevere if necessary.  I did find that the chipset of this Main Board (in the P7651) seems not to be supported by Speed Fan, so I am taking a rain check on that.

The fan only seems to kick in in anger when there is heavy graphics load.  For example as I am working now, which is normal usage for this System, the temps are ticking over at a very comfortable 36 ~ 37.

Anyway, I should expect things to be a bit different from my liquid cooled Desktop power Rig 😉

I appreciate your comments.  I do feel more comfortable now.

Salutatem.

TPFLegionaire
Retired
Bericht 4 van 5
6.171 Weergaven
Bericht 4 van 5
6.171 Weergaven

Hi @Slartibardfast 

You seem to have a good handle on things there, glad I could help a bit.
The urge to tinker and improve things is strong in me as well, of course we can always be inspired by these  crazy kids. !
with the usual caveats from us, not supported, invalidates warranty, don't do this at home, trained professionals! 😉

Have a great weekend.

Cheers!
TPFLegionaire

Slartibardfast
Apprentice
Bericht 5 van 5
6.160 Weergaven
Bericht 5 van 5
6.160 Weergaven

You have no idea! 🙂

The first Desktop I became aquainted with was the Texas Instruments TI 770, way before the IBM PC came out and started all this rot!  8088 @ 4.77MHz.  Seems like another world now. Have been working with PC Technology ever since.

Your good health!

4 ANTWOORDEN 4