6 ANTWORTEN 6
froschling
Beginner
Nachricht 1 von 7
5.137 Aufrufe
Nachricht 1 von 7
5.137 Aufrufe

Meltdown & Spectre

I have a Medion Akoya P5315D (MD8351). Has anyone any idea what arrangements are being made to supply and apply any patches needed to protect my machine ?

Tags (3)
6 ANTWORTEN 6
DarkKnight
Contributor
Nachricht 2 von 7
5.119 Aufrufe
Nachricht 2 von 7
5.119 Aufrufe

Hi @froschling

Updates are currently being tested and deployed by the main OS developers such as Microsoft, Google etc. These updates will be made available via their appropriate update service.

Hope this helps

@DarkKnight

aceslider
Beginner
Nachricht 3 von 7
5.072 Aufrufe
Nachricht 3 von 7
5.072 Aufrufe

Hi. Whilst there are Windows patches being tested, should there not also be firmware updates for BIOS to work in conjunction with Windows operating system? Certainly there are a number of computer experts discussing this online and recommending that users undertake a flash test of their computer BIOS to see if a firmware update is needed

froschling
Beginner
Nachricht 4 von 7
5.069 Aufrufe
Nachricht 4 von 7
5.069 Aufrufe

Sounds sensible but how do you go about running such a test ?

aceslider
Beginner
Nachricht 5 von 7
5.065 Aufrufe
Nachricht 5 von 7
5.065 Aufrufe

I think this is probably a bit beyond most computer users (of which I include myself in that) because there is a risk that you could damage your system if you do not carry the procedure out correctly. In my case I have an AMD chip and my understanding is that Microsoft have deferred issuing the latest patches to users who have the older AMD chips. I have also read that Microsoft and AMD are working on a solution. I would expect that Medion would be involved in this process as they should take some sort of responsibility in all of this and I am wondering if new drivers will eventually appear on their support pages?

froschling
Beginner
Nachricht 6 von 7
5.063 Aufrufe
Nachricht 6 von 7
5.063 Aufrufe

Generally any "investigative" test of system hardware is non-destructive but  expect it would require a specific utility. I think we'll need to look to the manufacturers for this. Upgrading the firmware is a different proposition and will require care. Once again we have to look to the

@aceslider wrote:

I think this is probably a bit beyond most computer users (of which I include myself in that) because there is a risk that you could damage your system if you do not carry the procedure out correctly. In my case I have an AMD chip and my understanding is that Microsoft have deferred issuing the latest patches to users who have the older AMD chips. I have also read that Microsoft and AMD are working on a solution. I would expect that Medion would be involved in this process as they should take some sort of responsibility in all of this and I am wondering if new drivers will eventually appear on their support pages?

manufacturers to provide us a straightfoward patch.

Rex
Community Manager
Community Manager
Nachricht 7 von 7
5.033 Aufrufe
Nachricht 7 von 7
5.033 Aufrufe

Hello @froschling @aceslider

We have created some answers to the most common questions about the processor vulnerabilities and attack scenarios Meltdown and Spectre:
FAQs on Meltdown and Spectre

Rex

MEDION AG - A Lenovo Company • Web: www.medion.de • Community: community.medion.com • Facebook: www.facebook.com/MEDIONDeutschland

Bitte belohne hilfreiche Antworten mit Kudos und markiere die beste Antwort/Lösung mit Als Lösung akzeptieren.
6 ANTWORTEN 6