SOLVED
10 REPLIES 10
plutissimo
Trainee
Message 1 of 11
Message 1 of 11

Medion Erazer Recon P20 RAM and SSD

Hi,

I have bought a Medion Erazer Recon P20 MD35348 and would like to upgrade the RAM and add an SSD. I have read plenty of threads in this community and from what I understand you have to be very careful to buy something that is compatible. However, I cannot seem to find information about exactly what is compatible. Can anyone please help with what the requirements are?

Stock configuration as I understand it:

- Intel B660 chipset

- 8 GB DDR4 PC3200 RAM

- 512 GB SSD M.2

- MSN: 10024815

I would primarily like to buy another 8GB RAM module that matches the existing in the spec, but if that doesn't work two new RAM modules that are compatible with the motherboard. 

Thanks!

Tags (4)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
daddle
Superuser
Message 10 of 11
Message 10 of 11

@plutissimo

Nonsense. The Board/Chipset of course is dual channel capable. All other arising questions I did answer already.

It's getting  to nerve, if you ask for every little detail. You have to test it. No one can give you a guaranteed answer.

Get the second module, thats what  you proposed in your original post, and try then.

The problem is some modules might not be fit for dual channel themselves, so get a pair of certified dual channel capable modules.

But most are, as long as they are in the same way organized. 

daddle

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
daddle
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Message 2 of 11

@plutissimo 

I think your idea to buy a second 8 GB RAM modul with the same specs, preferably even made by the same manufacturer is a good idea. If you can not get a modul from the same producer, as long as the specs are the same, you can buy from an other manufacturer  and give it a try. (check the label on the orig.modul)

But you should check with the little tool CPU-Z if the moduls work in dual channel mode. If not you have to buy a  set of paired moduls.

There is one other M.2 Slot available, but for SATA M.2 SSDs only.

Your boot device is a 512 GB M.2 PCIe SSD already.

But you also could add instead of a M.2  SSD a 2,5" Laptop SATA SSD. There are 

3 free SATA ports onboard.

Cheers, daddle

plutissimo
Trainee
Message 3 of 11
Message 3 of 11

Thank you @daddle .

I haven't booted up the computer yet, as I want to make sure it is upgradeable before I do.

The RAM is a Hynix HMA81GU6DJR8N-XN. This matches:

https://memory.net/product/hma81gu6djr8n-xn-sk-hynix-1x-8gb-ddr4-3200-udimm-pc4-25600u-single-rank-x...

Apart from seeing that it is a quite slow CL22 memory, is there something in the spec that shows if the module works in dual channel mode?

And what specs need to match if i buy a second one? It does not seem that the one inside is readily available.

Thx, plutissimo

daddle
Superuser
Message 4 of 11
Message 4 of 11

@plutissimo

@plutissimo  schrieb:

Thank you @daddle .

I haven't booted up the computer yet, as I want to make sure it is upgradeable before I do.

No need to wait ; it doesn't make a difference, if you boot the first time or not. And it is upgradable.

To compare the RAM those specs in this number (Hynix HMA81GU6DJR8N-XN) shows the organization of the modul.Your choice is ok.

I gave you the link for CPU-Z . This tool shows all the specs, also if the 2 Ram moduls are  running in dual mode.

daddle

plutissimo
Trainee
Message 5 of 11
Message 5 of 11

Sorry for the delay.

Here are the screenshots from CPU-Z.

Where do I see if the installed RAM is cabable of running in "dual mode"?

plutissimo_0-1715238271260.pngplutissimo_1-1715238313692.png

plutissimo_2-1715238351041.png

Thx

/plutissimo

daddle
Superuser
Message 6 of 11
Message 6 of 11

@plutissimo 

I do wonder. In CPU-Z you check the different menu pages . There you find the properties of your installed memory.

daddle

plutissimo
Trainee
Message 7 of 11
Message 7 of 11

@daddle 

Can you please explain what you mean? In addition to the tabs in the screen shots in my previous posts, where could I look within CPU-Z?

/plutissimo

daddle
Superuser
Message 8 of 11
Message 8 of 11

@plutissimo 

Register card SPD on top right side corner ---> Ranks should show Dual, and not --> Single

Register card Memory, on top right side corner  --> Channel; there must be shown  --> Dual

Yours shows 1x64 bit, so it is not Dual channel operation 

But you have only one module 8 GB installed. That can nt work. Install two of them and check again.

How come you think it should show Dual then?

Most chipsets need two modules for dual channel operation. Some Boards with (better and newer) chipset  can operate even one module in dual channel mode. But a few only.

daddle

plutissimo
Trainee
Message 9 of 11
Message 9 of 11

OK. So it doesn't show if it is dual channel capable or not until there are two memory modules installed. Got it.

Hence the only way to really know is to buy and add a memory module of same specs, right?

- DDR4 - 3200 MHz

- 8 GB

- CL 22

- 1.2 V 

Anything else that needs to match?

Does anyone already know if the motherboard is dual channel capable or am I doing this for nothing? The bios is the most limited I have ever seen, so I am afraid the motherboard might be so as well.

Thx, plutissimo

daddle
Superuser
Message 10 of 11
Message 10 of 11

@plutissimo

Nonsense. The Board/Chipset of course is dual channel capable. All other arising questions I did answer already.

It's getting  to nerve, if you ask for every little detail. You have to test it. No one can give you a guaranteed answer.

Get the second module, thats what  you proposed in your original post, and try then.

The problem is some modules might not be fit for dual channel themselves, so get a pair of certified dual channel capable modules.

But most are, as long as they are in the same way organized. 

daddle

10 REPLIES 10