SOLVED
3 REPLIES 3
CtrlAltDel
Beginner
Message 1 of 4
Message 1 of 4

MEDION Akoya E23401 upgradability

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a MEDION Akoya E23401 all in one pc, and it comes with a 2TB HDD, which I'd like to swap out for a SSD.

Something I'm perfectly capable of doing, but since I've never seen the insides of an  Akoya E23401... is there any particular difficulties with doing that?

Alternative to swapping the drives out would be installing m.2 nvme ssd if the motherboard has a spot for one, and then migrating the OS to run from that instead of the HDD.

If anyone could offer some guidance, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks. 🙂 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
daddle
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Message 2 of 4

@CtrlAltDel 

High,

I just upgraded a E23401 for my wife with a second SSD. Some of the E23401 come with two SSDs, a M2 SSD and ta 2.5" Notebook model. The one we bought came with a only a M2 SATA SSD, 256 GB.

So I added a Notebook SSD 512 GB. But there is no PCIe M2 Port on board. So you could add a M2 SATA SSD.

I would advise not to exceed 512 GB, or even may better 256 GB only, which would be more sufficient to put Windows on.

One hiccup was to loosen the stand or rack; the screws were so strongly screwed in, I couldn't loosen them, fearing not to break the screen or housing, though I am experienced enough.

But I managed to open the case partially, which let me put the SSD in, wrapped in some foam foil , and get the connecting wires .

But to reach the M2 Slot it is neccessary to get the stand (or foot) of.

Otherwise its not difficult to open the case, which is flanged on the back of the screen housing

Success,  daddle

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
daddle
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Message 2 of 4

@CtrlAltDel 

High,

I just upgraded a E23401 for my wife with a second SSD. Some of the E23401 come with two SSDs, a M2 SSD and ta 2.5" Notebook model. The one we bought came with a only a M2 SATA SSD, 256 GB.

So I added a Notebook SSD 512 GB. But there is no PCIe M2 Port on board. So you could add a M2 SATA SSD.

I would advise not to exceed 512 GB, or even may better 256 GB only, which would be more sufficient to put Windows on.

One hiccup was to loosen the stand or rack; the screws were so strongly screwed in, I couldn't loosen them, fearing not to break the screen or housing, though I am experienced enough.

But I managed to open the case partially, which let me put the SSD in, wrapped in some foam foil , and get the connecting wires .

But to reach the M2 Slot it is neccessary to get the stand (or foot) of.

Otherwise its not difficult to open the case, which is flanged on the back of the screen housing

Success,  daddle

CtrlAltDel
Beginner
Message 3 of 4
Message 3 of 4

Thanks @daddle 

That's more or less what I wanted to hear.

I had seen a video of an older model being opened up to change the HDD, and the opening up process did look a bit of a job. Definitely one of those scenarios where you're worried about just how much pressure you have to apply to get it to pop off.

I had been thinking about the latest NVME SSD's, but if there isn't an PCIe slot, I may as well just use a regular Sata SSD as I wouldn't get the benefit of a NVME SSD via Sata.

I will though probably stick to 256gb. That's plenty for the OS and the minimal number of programs that will be going on.

Once the OS is transferred to the SSD I might take the 2tb HDD out and combine it with another in a NAS for networked storage.

Anyway... thanks for passing on your experience with this.

Much appreciated. 🙂

daddle
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Message 4 of 4

@CtrlAltDel 

You are welcome. 

Compared to an older model, to open the AIO case isn't really difficult, except to loosen the stand.

The housing of the PC is a small box on the back side of the screen, which one can open easily after loosening  the  screws (and removing the stand).

If your E23401  is equipped with a 2 TB HDD, you have a M2 SATA Slot free. Surely it is  the easiest way to put a SATA M2 in the slot to clone Windows. No hassle with any USB-adaptors. And the M2 SSD is much much faster than your HDD.

But to make sure, just name the MSN number, printed on a label on the back or bottom of your PC. This identifies your PC; there is a great number of varieties of this model in the  market.

Regards, daddle

3 REPLIES 3