cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change PCI-E version 4.0 to 3.0 (Medion ERAZER ENGINEER P10 - MD34911)

5 REPLIES 5
Kato85
Trainee
Message 1 of 6
Message 1 of 6

Change PCI-E version 4.0 to 3.0 (Medion ERAZER ENGINEER P10 - MD34911)

Hello.

I am trying to change PCI-E version from 4.0 to 3.0 in order to be able to attach a second GPU in the computer

(thru a riser as the Medion ERAZER ENGINEER P10 MD34911 does only comes with 1 x16 PCI-E as well as 1 x1 PCI-E)

I have booted the system in BIOS, however i am failing to find either the GPU-settings in "chipset", find any valuable information in the ACPI settings as well as in the CPU settings, so i would be happy to get help from MEDION on how to change PCI-E version 4.0 to 3.0

Picture 1:

Cant find GPU-settings in Chipset

001.jpg

Picture 2:

Cant find any valiable information for PCI-E in CPU settings:

002.jpeg

Picture 3:

Cant find any valiable information for PCI-E in ACPI settings:

003.jpeg

5 REPLIES 5
Gehringer
Retired
Message 2 of 6
Message 2 of 6

Hi @Kato85 ,

the 4.0 version should be backwards compatible with the 3.0.

Would it only work with the 3.0?

Regards,

Gehringer

Kato85
Trainee
Message 3 of 6
Message 3 of 6

I have read that in order to use a second GPU thru a riser (as the motherboard for the Medion ERAZER ENGINEER P10 - MD34911 only has 1 PCI-EX16 slot) one has to change to PCI-E v. 3.0  in order for the PC to recognize the riser being attached in the PCI-E x1 slot.

I have now connected my second GPU to the riser, which has been connected to the PCI-E x1 slot.

Both the riser and the GPU is showing their lights activated, which indicates that they are both connected, the problem is that the software is unable to detect the GPU thru the riser.

I have checked the Device Manager, but i can only see the first GPU there.

I have also run the "Add Device" in the Control Panel, but nothing is showing up.

So it seems that perhaps i need to change to PCI-e version 3.0 after all.

But since this does not seems to be an option in BIOS for this specific computer, then i would require more help from you professionals in order to be able to change from PCI-E 4.0 to PCI-E 3.0

Help would be much appreciated, thank you.

daddle
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Message 4 of 6

@Kato85 

A dedicated second GPU in the PCI-E x1 with rizer  or adapter will not function. The other PCI-E x 16  4.0 is compatible with the V.3.0 

daddle

Kato85
Trainee
Message 5 of 6
Message 5 of 6

Thank you for your reply.

So what you are saying is that the PCI-E x1 is not functioning properly?

Because one can use the PCI-E x1 for a dedicated second GPU with rizer or adapter in any other motherboard setup or computer, but not in this one?

If this is true, then Medion has to inform customers that their PCI-E x1 is not working properly, as customers might buy the PC in order to use both the PCI-E slots for GPU:s

This was my reason for buying this computer, and if what you are telling me is true, then i have to return the PC to the retailer and point out this inconsistence as a reason for returning the product and getting a refund.

Kato85
Trainee
Message 6 of 6
Message 6 of 6

@daddle 

Perhaps i was too fast replying you here.

The reason for using a second GPU is that i will be using it for mining cryptocurrency.

Normally, one could not use a GPU of todays standard in a PCI-E x1 slot, as the bandwith would be too low, however when it comes to mining cryptocurrencies, the bandwith is low, and only the memory is used.

What my real question is: how do i make the PC detect the second GPU, which has been connected to the PCI-E x1 thru the riser card.

As of now, i have been unsuccessful in making the PC detect the card.

The steps which i have taken so far:

1. checked the Device Manager, but i can only see the first GPU there.

2. I have also run the "Add Device" in the Control Panel, but nothing is showing up.

3. I have also checked BIOS, howerver, since there does not seem to be an option to check the CPU in BIOS, this has also been unsuccessful.

Help would be much appreciated, thank you.

5 REPLIES 5