Did you mean: 

Smartphone USB Audio

5 REPLIES 5
cxb1
New Voice
Message 1 of 6
Message 1 of 6

Smartphone USB Audio

I have the Medion Life 5005: a very nice device with Android Marshmallow 6.0. Marshmallow is supposed to support USB Audio connection to USB DACs, and indeed, the USB Host facility is supported. But my USB DAC is not detected.

Can Medion please tell me if this device is compatible with USB audio (out)? 

Or how I can enable it? 

Are any Medion smartphone USB Audio compatible?

Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5
Bodgekin
Mentor
Message 2 of 6
Message 2 of 6

Hi @cxb1

As far as I understand, USB Audio support is natively included in Android 5 and up, the only hardware requirement for it is a USB host port, the rest is softwarebased. I think the problem you have is similar to what is described here: 

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Android-5.0-Lollipop-supports-USB-DAC-audio-devices-we-go-ears-on_id6...

I think your USB DAC needs more power than the phone can supply. 

Kind regards,
Bart
cxb1
New Voice
Message 3 of 6
Message 3 of 6

I'll check out your suggestion. However, I'd failed to add that the portable DAC is battery-powered, and ignores the USB power lines from the phone! I'm supposed to use OTG cables, and I believe I am, but this phone doesn't even seem to recognise that a USB device is hanging off its USB port. 

Yes, the E5005 does have a USB host port, and even supports 'accessory'. But I'm not sure all the firmware drivers are there.

Perhaps I need to employ some kind of splitter cable, with a USB hub supplying a powered link to the phone, but an OTG cable connecting to the DAC.

Bodgekin
Mentor
Message 4 of 6
Message 4 of 6

As I understand it, the driver support is integrated in the newer versions of Android, but i'm far from an expert on the subject :). 

Have you tried testing the host function with something like a simple USB stick or keyboard or something? 

I dont think using a splitter is a good idea, I dont know if the phone can handle receiving power and simultaneously working in OTG mode on the same USB port. 

Kind regards,
Bart
cxb1
New Voice
Message 5 of 6
Message 5 of 6

Thanks for your good suggestions Bart.

I've now tried a bunch of them without success.

It's possible to enter the phone's hidden Test environment by powering off, then powering on with Power+UpVol+DownVol all pressed at the same time. There's a specific OTG test, which it passes when it detects an OTG cable attached (and fails when it doesn't). But the device, in normal use, doesn't seem to do anything with this capability! Even when an app is open and actively scans for a device on USB: it can't find any. (Onkyo HD Audio). 

The "USB Diagnostic Test" app reports that it can't find any device, but indicates it might be possible to fix the problem with root permission.....

There's no indication I can root this device: it's very new, having a build of July 2016, with a new Android build. It's not on a list of rootable devices in Kingo Root etc. So I'm afraid I might never get this to work properly. Take it back and ask for a refund?

Regards

Bodgekin
Mentor
Message 6 of 6
Message 6 of 6

Hmm I dont think rooting the device will solve the problem, my guess is its an incompatibility, or a power issue. Besides, rooting the device would also likely void your warranty and the option to return it.

If you specifically need to use the Onkyo HD audio on the smartphone, then I think its best to return it if thats still possible, I dont think you will get it working :(.

Kind regards,
Bart
5 REPLIES 5